Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Drane MPGA10084 motor trouble

Tsuriman

Motor started making noise yesterday and today stopped spinning. It is making a lot of noise, whining trying to get started.  I cleaned a bunch of the lint and grime off the motor and it blew hard for a while.  But the next time the furnace kicked on it didn't blow again.  Making noise so I shut it down.

I know the obvious thing is that this very old unit and should be replaced but does this sound like a motor issue?

Let me know the next step. 

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tsuriman

• ACtechGUY

• RegUS_PatOff

Top Posters In This Topic

with power removed,

give the Motor Shaft a spin with your fingers.

Does is turn quietly, smoothly ?

Motor or capacitor or both.  Motors do wear out.  get a new motor and new capacitor to match the new motor. 

@RegUS_PatOff

Sometimes a motor will spin freely with no sign of bearing damage and still be bad. FYI 

he mentioned Motor "making noise" ...

would seem to be Motor Bearings

motor did spin freely.  Then at one point a bit of a grind.  but went away.  

I have video.  and got it running again.  Will post shortly.

I got it running set with "Fan On" setting.  The heat shoudl turn on but it is not.  Is there a reset?  I have a feeling it got really hot.  

A motor with a weak / failed capacitor will cause motor noise.  Also there is the case of capacitor wiring  inside the motor going open( due to bad capactior) and you can replace the capacitor and still have the same problem. 

Tsuriman - older furnaces had a thermal fuse located  inbetween the flue and burners. That may have blown to excess heat. This  stops low voltage from getting to the gas valve.  

due to the age of your furnace , before you invest ant money in a motor ......

You should thoroughly check the heat exchanger for cracks /  rust holes . 

Pull the blower assembly out and put a bright light in the burner section. When looking into the hole where the blower blows into , you should see no light. if you see any light , the heat exchanger is failed and funace must go.