Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Dryer - how freely should rollers roll, and does it matter?

dryer roller

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Shearer Cooper

Chris Shearer Cooper

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:54 PM

I've got a rather old Maytag Dryer (DE512) and while doing some other repairs that involve taking the tumbler out, I noticed that the rollers spin relatively easily by hand but stop spinning pretty much immediately after I remove my hand.

Should the rollers spin some after I remove my hand?

Is replacing the rollers pretty easy (looks like I pop off the retaining ring, slide off the old rollers, slide on the new roller, reattach the retaining ring)?

Will replacing the rollers have any noticeable impact on the machine?

Thanks,

Chris

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 MA tech.

MA tech.

Sōhei

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Amstel Light

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:19 PM

If you weren't noticing any rumbling or grinding noises then no need to replace. They don't spin to much more after you take your hand off. I would suggest a little cleaning with emory cloth on the axels to a shiny finsh is good. I always drop some 3+1 oil on them. I am aware that most of the techs on here disagree and prefer grease. I guess either way is good. Hit the idler wheel with a some oil as well. Great machine. Best ever. Hold onto it.

Also remember drive belt is smooth side on drum.Have had many do that wrong. Groove side of belt is facing up/out.

#3 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:50 PM

I have same model dryer, going 27 years with never a problem, even still on original belt.

Eric

#4 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:51 PM

Concur with MA tech.  I love this dryer.  Upper/mid range model for Maytag at the time.  If the light lens was missing, the front drum support would gather enough money to pay for lunch.  I don't use any oil on dryer rollers but using emory cloth to clean and smooth the roller shafts is dead on.

#5 MA tech.

MA tech.

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Amstel Light

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:54 PM

That was 27 years ago I was delivering and installing these dryers? Where has the time gone?

#6 vee8power

vee8power

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Folgers

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:01 PM

These dryers have airflow like a hurricane compared to other dryers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics