Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LG LFX28978 Repair Issue

LG Motherboard freezer issue

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 koldevill

koldevill

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:jack and ginger

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:07 AM

Hi I'm new here. The Samurai told me to sign up and ask this question off of a youtube video he had posted. So Thanks and Hello Everybody. I have a 1.5 yr old LG LFX28978 that has a freezer that won't go below 30 degrees. I used the video on youtube as  a guide and determined that it needed a new motherboard, which I ordered and replaced. Viola the fridge worked great for three days then went back to doing the exact same thing. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do next. The motherboard was 200 bucks and don't want to waste another one. What should my next plan of attack be.

Thank You for any help anyone may have.

J

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,889 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

Did you test/replace temp sensors? Have you examined your evaporator for defrost issues?  Send us a picture of your freezer evap so we can take a look at the frost pattern.   Also, check your fan motor..can you feel air blowing through the evap cover vents?

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 03 March 2014 - 10:31 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,452 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:43 PM

One thing the LG instructor, John Stanton, mentioned at ASTI is that LG thermistors rarely fail (unlike some other brands we know and hate).  Your more likely suspects are a sealed system problem as Brother Durham alluded to with his request for the evap frost pattern, or a bad condenser fan motor.  

Also, post your COMPLETE model number off the tag in the refrigerator.

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,889 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:17 PM

now that you said that, i don't recall changing many LG thermistors.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#5 koldevill

koldevill

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:26 AM

it's an lfx28978 ST i'll have to take it apart this weekend to take a pic of the evap coil. If it is a sealed system leak that would mean my 3k dollar 1.5 yr old fridge is junk correct. I've never moved it and it is clean as a whistle don't know why it would blow out. the fridge holds temp. I was wondering if the damper was having an issue that maybe the new motherboard overcame for a day. Why would the new motherboard fix everything for three days if it was a sealed system leak. Wouldn't that cause a high temp no matter what motherboard was in there?

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,452 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:28 AM

If the frost pattern is good, you'll probably need the condenser fan Part number: AP4437783

Part number: AP4437783

and fan blade Part number: AP4439974

Part number: AP4439974

#7 Jason_Son

Jason_Son

Samanera

• Professional Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Light

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:39 PM

If it's the lfx28978st/01 it's registration is 1/2011 if it's lfx28978st/02 it's 5/2011. You said its 1.5 yrs old I'm going on a stretch to try and help ya in saying it's probably one of the two. Both have bulletins on gaskets as well as mullion issues. These are in FF section anyway.I've seen those. I attended the same class at ASTI and do recall John's mention of thermistor reliability. However, I think we all have seen issue with connection. A pic of the evap is vital there are a lot good sealed system guys hear who can read it well. I'm new but have a brief background in HVAC and commercial refrigeration service and will try to help. To help with your question about it working for three days and quitting. Fans are like any other electric motor. Can work great out the gate but under constant load can weaken to a stop. Then after it cools it fires up again and the process continues until it burns out.
Cheeseburger,cheeseburger,cheeseburger hai!

#8 koldevill

koldevill

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:00 AM

it's the /01 sorry about that. I have to say thank You to everybody for the input it is greatly appreciated. I will get pics of the evap coil as soon as I can tear down the fridge and get to it. I'm really hoping this fridge isn't junk!

Thanks Again everybody!

#9 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:03 PM

How's the temps in the fresh food section?  Too cold or not cold enough?  Does the dispenser control work properly?

#10 koldevill

koldevill

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:24 PM

everything is fine. I will get my laser thermometer (its at work) tomorrow and give exact temps.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LG, Motherboard, freezer issue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics