Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Dishwasher Impeller? 665.13752k601 - Is it worth DIY?

dishwasher pump impeller mascerator food chopper

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jbroberts38

jbroberts38

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:56 PM

Hi Wise Folks,

Loud grinding noise was similar to what we heard when there was sippy straw and twist-ties in there.  That time (6 months ago), the noise went away after appliance person took it apart and cleaned it.  THe water also flowed better, and got things clean.

Now the noise is back. I have cleaned the mascerator (1st blade/screen in sump).  Did not fix the problem.

It only seems to happen in the wash cycle, not rinse.  Don't recall if pre-wash/rinse.

The unit has given 8 years of service, would like more.  Everything else works fine.  Just the noise.

Read somewhere that it could be a second level screen, or even the impeller.

Looks like I have to remove pump to get at these.

If I have to remove the pump (even if just to replace the impeller), is it worth getting a new pump (and related seals) and new impeller--and fixing the thing?  Are there other "wear" parts (e.g., sensors, water pump) that are considered fragile and should be replaced?

I am very handy, though this seems more "involved" than complicated (I downloaded a Whirlpool manuial to read about the steps).

Is it worth it?

Advice Most appreciated.

JBR

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 MA tech.

MA tech.

Sōhei

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Amstel Light

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:20 PM

Sounds like a noisy motor. Water leak into bearings over time causes bearings to gradually get louder. Very common on this design.

Run motor with macerator removed and confirm if you still here noise. If so bad motor. You can get the motor itself or  as the whole sump assembly included. Either way machine has to come out to replace it.

#3 themax3000

themax3000

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home-brewed Kombucha

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:41 PM

I agree with MA tech on diagnosis procedure. This is not too difficult to replace and is well worth it, imho. I like this design much better than many of the newer ones. 

Its a long shot, but you could try running some Lemishine Dishwasher Cleaner through it in the odd chance that it may break some deposits loose for you.

#4 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet Pepsi

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:43 PM

I'll agree its probably a bad motor. There is a chance you may have something stuck in the impeller housing thats causing the noise, but to check that you're going to have to pull the motor out and look in there. If you're not wanting to spend money on unneeded parts  maybe pull the motor first and see if there is anything in there, and if there is clean it out and reassemble it. If there is nothing in there order a motor and replace it.

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,830 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:26 AM

Always better to replace the motor and sump as an assembly on these Part number: AP4434612

Part number: AP4434612

#6 jbroberts38

jbroberts38

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:21 AM

Thanks all, I really appreciate the "Crowd" opinion shown here.  I have used it for HVAC issues and choices (HVAC-Talk), complex alarm choicesand installation issues (DIYSecurity), and now with kitchen appliances.

I can't imagine removing the system and not replacing Wash Motor/Sump. and possibly even the water pump.  Removing the unit seems to be the largest cost.

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,830 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:47 AM

The motor-sump assy can be replaced without removing the dishwasher:

#8 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted 04 March 2014 - 06:25 PM

Watch the video!  It's really not that hard.

Doc

#9 jbroberts38

jbroberts38

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:51 PM

Hi, and thanks for the video.  I replaced the sump assembly, and the drain pump and optical sensor.

Best running 8 yr old system.

Point on the video: neither this video, no any other I could find about installing the sump assembly, indicates the location of the three clips--and what to do with them.  FOrtunately, I found a diagram with the location, and figured it out.

Great DIY anniversary present--even though I usually do the dishes!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dishwasher, pump, impeller, mascerator, food chopper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics