Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Some Helpful Dishwashing Tips

phosphates soap dishwasher not cleaning

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 themax3000

themax3000

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home-brewed Kombucha

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:35 PM

Here are some helpful dishwashing tips. They are subjective, of course, but may be helpful to some.  I'm sure there are plenty of others to add to the list:

Ever since automatic dishwashing soap manufacturers moved to phosphate-free soaps a few years ago , dishwashing soap has just not worked as well as it used to. This is great news for the environment, but has not been so great for dishwashing. Even my favorite leading brand has been leaving customers frustrated, often thinking that their dishwashers were defective. I get lots of service calls for “dishwashers not cleaning,” which often points to a soap problem.

So what can you do? Here are five tips for helping your dishwasher perform its best:

1. Use only one brand of soap: Finish Quantum tablets. It seems no soap works quite as well as the old phosphate-laden soaps, but this one is head and shoulders above the others. They are formulated differently from other tablets.

2. Use a dishwasher cleaner like Lemishine Dishwasher Cleaner every 20-30 washes. This cleaner has citric acid as its base, which seems to work better than white vinegar and other cleaners.

3. Always use a rinse aid. Lemishine actually makes a rinse aid now, but ones like Jet Dry or Cascade Crystal Clear should do just fine. Usually about 4 oz. will last 20-30 washes. Most importantly, it helps them dry well, which is becoming even more important for newer dishwashers that use little to no heat on drying cycles.

4. Use the hottest wash option. In general,  shorter cycles and lower energy usage = lower performance. Extra heat options are often available on wash and rinse cycles. These may add length to the cycle time, but the extra energy use is negligible (and still use considerably less than your mother’s dishwasher.) If no extra heat option is available, go for the longer wash cycle, often labeled “Power Wash,” “Pots and Pans,” etc.

5. Clean out any internal filters after every wash. Imports like Bosch and Asko have at least one (most Bosch have three). Newer domestic models are starting to include these. Even if you do not have a filter, at least inspect the wash arm area at the bottom of your dishwasher for debris. It can clog your wash arms and reduce performance.   

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 04 March 2014 - 07:57 PM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: phosphates, soap, dishwasher, not cleaning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics