Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

whirlpool mh2175xsq-2 microwave range hood fan does not work

microwave fan range hood

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 anniethefixer

anniethefixer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:33 PM

The vent fan has stopped working on this hood vent/microwave combo unit. It no longer sucks cooking fumes outside.  We have it set up to vent to the outdoors.  The microwave still operates, the display still operates.  But when the hood vent button is pushed nothing happens. It will say Hi, Med, or Lo like it thinks it is on, but no fan.   When the microwave is turned on, the fan does not run then, either, to suck the inside the microwave fumes to the outdoors.

I think it just needs a new fan motor, but am not sure because I am a total amateur. 

Don't want to junk the thing if all that is needed is plugging in a new fan motor.

Can I replace this myself?  What else should I check?  How do I even get to the guts of this device to try to replace the motor?

Thank you for your help and advice.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet Pepsi

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:18 PM

The fan motor is easy to replace...once you have the unit out of the cabinets and down on the floor.

Before pulling it down, I would first check for power output for the fan at the control board. That way you don't waste the time and effort to pull the unit down  only to find out you have a bad control board and there is nothing wrong with the fan. I don't have a schematic for this unit so I can't help you here with what wires to check, but maybe someone else can help with that.

If you do have power to the fan you'll know you either have a bad fan motor, or you may get lucky and the harness came unplugged or a resident squirrel has been packing nuts in the air duct and that has the fan blade stalled out.

#3 anniethefixer

anniethefixer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:42 PM

Thank you! 

Once I can find out which wires to check, then I will do that before pulling the whole thing down. Hopefully, someone has the schematic and can pass it on.   And I will go outside and look at the duct to verify that squirrels are not the culprits.

In the mean time, I found this very helpful link that shows me how to get to the guts.   http://www.partselect.com/microwave+replace-fan-motor+repair.htm

However, I am rather nervous about dealing with the capacitor and discharging it prior to checking the harness and possibly replacing the fan.  My husband has some experience with electronics and we should have the right tool to do this, but any words of advice from the Masters at Appliantology would be very helpful.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,163 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:13 AM

Vent fan Part number: AP5656382

Part number: AP5656382

#5 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:52 AM

Have you ruled out the fan motor capacitor (at a fraction of the cost)? Part# 8206357

APP seems to have a pricing error, that's why I didn't include their link, should run less than $20

Edited by Chat_in_FL, 06 March 2014 - 08:54 AM.

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,163 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:08 AM

Wow-- $211!  Looks like they moved the decimal point one place too far to the right.  

#7 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:23 PM

Most likely the fan motor.  Be sure not to use the microwave until the fan issue is resolved as the vent fan motor also serves as the magnetron cooling fan for this model.

#8 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:11 PM

Most likely the fan motor. 

Forgive me my brother, for I have been wrong more than once in troubleshooting this microwave...

Doth the motor spin when spun by hand? Doth it moan and hum in angst or cry pitifully? or, be it dead completely to this world?

Pray tell, What doth the ohm meter say to ye about the windings be it judge and jury?

Be there voltage present, or silence?

Alas,  doth ye multi-meter hath a capacitor check on it's selection dial?

Yet, most likely it be the motor...

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

#9 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 06 March 2014 - 04:40 PM

Valid questions all from one who is wise in the way of the microwave.  I am indeed in good company.

#10 anniethefixer

anniethefixer

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:30 PM

We have not pulled the thing down and started with the full diagnostics.  But I can tell you there is no sound from the fan motor.  Will do our best to check out all the various places that electricity should be flowing based on all of your sage advice.  We will try replacing the fan motor capacitor if the motor seems to be in working order.  Ordering parts now. 

We will adhere to all warnings and not run the device until we have it fixed.

Thank you all so very very much.  This is the third appliance in 6 months that you are giving great advice on and saving from the landfill.

Does anyone have the appropriate schematic?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: microwave, fan, range hood

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics