Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

My Maytag oven delays heating then lights with a HUGE boom...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Katied

Katied

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Green Flash IPA

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:54 PM

My oven has always been slow to start up, but now, it delays for minutes, then when it starts is booms so loudly the house shakes. (not using the oven anymore until repaired obviously!) it is a Maytag model MGR5875QDW I would love to be able to repair this myself, my husband would be so impressed, (so would I!) Do I need a new igniter?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 vee8power

vee8power

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Folgers

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:11 PM

very possible you need a new ignitor:

Part number: AP4096256

Part number: AP4096256

I would take it apart first though and look for anything wrong with the burner Look around the area where the ignitor is mounted for anything not mounted correctly. The burner should cover the orifice that the gas comes from and the ignitor should be securely attached close to the burner holes to ignite the gas as soon as it starts flowing 

#3 newtech11

newtech11

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:38 PM

My oven has always been slow to start up, but now, it delays for minutes, then when it starts is booms so loudly the house shakes. (not using the oven anymore until repaired obviously!) it is a Maytag model MGR5875QDW I would love to be able to repair this myself, my husband would be so impressed, (so would I!) Do I need a new igniter?

Katied,

I would check out where the gas leak is coming from before do anything else. You have a build up of gas in the oven cavity, which is be ignited by the the ignitor causing a mini explosion! You may have crack or broken gas line, loose gas line connection or a faulty safety valve.

#4 MA tech.

MA tech.

Sōhei

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Amstel Light

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:11 PM

Be really careful please. I know you really want to fix it and impress the  hubby but this may be an igniter problem or it may not be an igniter problem. Just hearing the house shakes and explosion coming from a gas heating appliance should be plenty cause for concern. I highly recommend you call a professional in on this one. The techs. on here know their stuff, no doubt, but nobody can guarantee you that just replacing the igniter will definitely solve you problem, with out looking at the unit. With the concern of the next "boom" being the worst "boom" please be careful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics