Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Decarolis214

How to disassemble a dishwasher?

9 posts in this topic

The dishwasher in my home was installed before the owners had new tile put in.  Now, the legs on the dishwasher (which is ancient and doesn't work) do not clear the tile (by about 2-3") for me to remove the dishwasher.  I don't want to have to lift the counter or damage the tile so my only alternative seems to be to take apart the dishwasher in the existing space.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Crystal

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

If the dishwasher is *not* a "tall tub" model---use a reciprocating saw (sawzall) to cut the lower frame.

The replacement dishwasher should be a design made for "built-up" floors (GE has one).

Are the front legs screwed up all the way? If not you may be able to get pliers around the foot to screw them up. I'm not sure if they would go up enough. You would need to remove the toekick first. Maybe the feet can be cut off to provide more clearance. I've never had to remove one like that but just a thought.

Are the front legs screwed up all the way? If not you may be able to get pliers around the foot to screw them up. I'm not sure if they would go up enough. You would need to remove the toekick first. Maybe the feet can be cut off to provide more clearance. I've never had to remove one like that but just a thought.

Yes, I tried to screw them up but still have a clearance issue.  I think sawing off the legs may be my only option...

If the dishwasher is *not* a "tall tub" model---use a reciprocating saw (sawzall) to cut the lower frame.

The replacement dishwasher should be a design made for "built-up" floors (GE has one).

Thanks!  I was looking for an alternative to the sawzall but that may be my only option...  Thank you for the info about the new dishwasher, I wasn't aware that they made those. 

I don't know if you could get that dremel tool with the flat blade that saws left to right to cut if you don't want to use a sawzall.

I don't know if you could get that dremel tool with the flat blade that saws left to right to cut if you don't want to use a sawzall.

Good point, didn't think of that.

I've also heard of techs folding the tub in on itself (compressing/compacting it in place). Another option, what-ever seems the easiest for you...

I've ran in to only one that I couldn't get out and I was going to grab the Sawzall but then I saw a ratchet strap in the back of my truck and it gave me an idea. I put each hook on the front feet and cranked them in together. Doing that bent the frame in enough to get the extra 1 inch I needed to pull it out. Once the front is out the back is easier since the dishwasher is not as tall on the back.

That was on a 2000 era GE and they have a pretty flimsy frame so it worked well.