Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Dewey68

GE jgbc20bea1wh broiler handle melted off

3 posts in this topic

My broiler handle has melted off my oven.  I purchased a new one and mounted it, it also melted off.  Obviously it wasn't mounted correctly and still isn't.  I mounted it with the screws going all the way through the door and into the handle.  All of the spacers are missing, is this what keeps the heat from transferring from the screws into the plastic, or is there some other trick to properly mounting the handle.  My original I tried JB welding to fix, but it didn't take.  

Thanks!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

There are  handle kits based on the color of the door handle.  I don't know if these solve the melting  issue, they were created for problems with attaching the handle to the door

White: Part number: AP2020898

Part number: AP2020898

Almond: Part number: AP2020899

Part number: AP2020899

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man

That's actually the part I bought, it's just the handle.  I saw a video of a broiler handle being replaced.  2 of the screws went only through the outside of the broiler drawer, and the 2 others went completely through from the inside of the broiler to the handle. I'll try the same thing, putting the two inner screws only through the outer portion of the broiler drawer, and the outer two screws through the entire broiler drawer.  The two outer screws will hold the drawer halves and the insulation together.

I think I can make that work with some JB weld.  The mounts for the screws didn't melt as badly as the inner mounts did.