Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

How to disassemble KitchenAid KGRI801PBL gas range

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dash

Dash

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dog--n-Suds

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:25 PM

I have a KitchenAid gas range KGRI801PBL00 that likely has a bad DSI module (oven spark module W10331686).  Oven and broiler will not ignite and neither attempts to make a spark.  I checked the thermal fuse on the back of the stove and it's good; has continuity.  All other functions of stove work properly.

The problem I have is how do I remove the DSI module?  It is located underneath the cooktop atop the oven cavity where there is limited space and the mounting screw is vertical as if it was assembled from the factory without the entire cooktop in place.  Do I have to remove the cooktop?  If so, how do I do that?  Exploded views of the stove do not help and the 9757666 tech sheet is missing.  Do you have this tech sheet in your inventory?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:08 PM

The DSI can be accessed from the front of the unit after removing the control panel. The short gas manifold aids in the removal. Remove the mounting screws from the DSI board, and then slide it forward as far as the wiring will allow. Disconnect the wiring from the board connectors.

Edited by Chat_in_FL, 08 March 2014 - 06:09 PM.

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:44 PM

DSI module Part number: AP5178660

Part number: AP5178660

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:59 AM

Have you check the bake and broil coils on the oven safety valve first, if either coil is bad neither bake or broil will work.

You will usually get just a spark or two and it will stop but gas will never flow.

Checking the safety valve coils would be the first and easiest thing to do before having to get to the DSI board.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#5 Dash

Dash

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:54 AM

I have the control panel removed.  The problem I'm having is that phillips screw that secures the DSI module points to the ground and there's only 1" clearance above the screw, thus it's too close to use a stubby screwdriver.  I guess I could try using the phillips tip of a multi-tip screwdriver held in needle nose pliers to remove the screw.  I tried using a 1/4 drive rachet with a 1/4" socket and short phillips tip but that arrangement was too tall to fit in the space.

No, I didn't check the resistance of the oven valve coils because there is no spark whatsoever when either bake or broil is selected.  The auxiliary electric heating element turns on and stays on so I've concluded that the electronic oven control board is good. 

#6 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:33 AM

I have the control panel removed.  The problem I'm having is that phillips screw that secures the DSI module points to the ground and there's only 1" clearance above the screw, thus it's too close to use a stubby screwdriver.

The DSI board is mounted onto a plate, the entire plate slides forward before you can access that screw that points down. The screw that releases the DSI plate is below and to the right of the DSI, facing forward.

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

#7 Dash

Dash

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:19 PM

Got the DSI board out and replaced it.  Old board had a nice burn through on it.  Oven still doesn't work however because the oven dual gas valve is bad. One coil measures no resistance whatsoever.

My stove is a KitchenAid KGRI801PBL00 and the proper oven gas valve is p/n 9763716.  Is it possible to substitute p/n 9761959 instead?  Both valves look exactly the same so what's the difference?  Will the substitute gas valve work?

#8 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,757 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:39 AM

Why do you not want to use the correct one?  It is actually cheaper then the wrong one and both seem to be available everywhere.

From all the pictures they appear to be the same but there has to be some difference or they would not have two different parts, (it could very well just be the orifice hood size and the LP pin size - each oven that the two different valves are used on may have a higher or lower BTU rating the the other).

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:21 PM

Correct Gas valve Part number: AP3886450

Part number: AP3886450

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics