Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Elete 110.28082700 Oasis Drive Shaft Seal

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 doogdoog

doogdoog

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:20 PM

Aloha,

I installed a new drive shaft, bearings, and seal and have a question on the seal. According to the instructions, the seal should be greased on the inside and adhesive applied on the OD of the seal and then installed into the tub. The seal is not level with the tub and is about 1/4" down into the hole. I also applied adhesive on the top of the seal and tub. My question is, is the seal suppose to seal the bottom of the basket also? I don't see any way the seal could seal the bottom of the basket if it is down into the tub. I was thinking that water couldnt enter the cavity inside the basket since it is pressing against the ss flange on the drive shaft and also because of the sealed wash plate bolt. I had two problems with my washer, one was bad bearings, and the second one was water entering the basket cavity and rusting the drive shaft (don't want this problem again). Sorry for the long post.

Mahalo,

doogdoog

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:29 AM

no the seal does not seal the basket, water will get into that area, the new shaft you installed has a revised coating to prevent the rusting issue

#3 doogdoog

doogdoog

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:54 PM

Thanks for the reply Kohai and does the new shaft coating have a color to it? The one I installed looked like a regular shaft with a dark color so maybe it is not the updated shaft. I wonder why they don't make a SS shaft so rusting wouldn't be a problem? I know it would cost a little more but it would last longer and wouldn't get stuck in the basket hole maybe requiring a new basket.

#4 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:04 PM

no the coating is black

#5 doogdoog

doogdoog

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:07 AM

Thanks for all the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics