Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE electronic ice maker service

GE ice maker

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Dave H

Dave H

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sly Fox 113 IPA

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:22 AM

Where can I get parts shown in the exploded view in this manual? I need the part indicated by the red arrow on page 8.

I don't want to spend $145 for a whole unit when I only need a $2 part.

https://drive.google...dit?usp=sharing

Thanks,

Dave

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:33 AM

Good luck finding individual parts for a GE ice maker. I've always replaced the whole assembly. Maybe you can find another one to scrap it out of. I really don't think GE even sells individual parts for their ice makers.

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,832 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:13 PM

Ice maker assembly Part number: AP4345120

Part number: AP4345120

#4 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Earl Grey

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:56 PM

I get the IM6 icemaker kit (all the installation parts) cheaper than the WR30X10093 icemaker alone...You can too! Part number: AP2718821

Part number: AP2718821

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 12 March 2014 - 08:56 PM.

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,832 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:57 PM

Great link, oly!  Domo!  

#6 Dave H

Dave H

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sly Fox 113 IPA

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:06 PM

The piece that broke is an axle connecting the bar that touches the ice when the bin is full to a magnet which is sensed by the control board. Another arm on this axle rides along the outside of the axle between the motor and the ice ejector.  When ice is being ejected, this arm retracts the ice sensor bar so it can check the ice height after the ice ejects. This second arm had either worn down or snapped off preventing retraction of the sensor bar and halting ice production.

I cut this arm about 3/8 of an inch from the end to provide a flat surface on the end of the arm.  I drilled a 5/32" hole into the end of the arm. I inserted a #2 screw (with two nuts to hold it's position) into the hole and left it stick out far enough that it would contact the motor axle so the bar would retract when the ice was ejected.

I  put everything back together and we have regular ice production again. Cost $4.53 for the bag of #2 screws and nuts.TIOD376798095.png

TIOD376797843.png

#7 micabay

micabay

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:17 PM

I get the IM6 icemaker kit (all the installation parts) cheaper than the WR30X10093 icemaker alone...You can too! Part number: AP2718821

Part number: AP2718821

What's the manufacture part number for this?

#8 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Earl Grey

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:18 PM

IM6

#9 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:18 PM

IM6 is the part number Micabay

#10 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:23 PM

The piece that broke is an axle connecting the bar that touches the ice when the bin is full to a magnet which is sensed by the control board. Another arm on this axle rides along the outside of the axle between the motor and the ice ejector. When ice is being ejected, this arm retracts the ice sensor bar so it can check the ice height after the ice ejects. This second arm had either worn down or snapped off preventing retraction of the sensor bar and halting ice production.

I cut this arm about 3/8 of an inch from the end to provide a flat surface on the end of the arm. I drilled a 5/32" hole into the end of the arm. I inserted a #2 screw (with two nuts to hold it's position) into the hole and left it stick out far enough that it would contact the motor axle so the bar would retract when the ice was ejected.

I put everything back together and we have regular ice production again. Cost $4.53 for the bag of #2 screws and nuts.TIOD376798095.png

TIOD376797843.png

That's pretty cool. To be honest I have never taken one of those apart because I never had time on the job at Sears. Plus Sears always sent the old ones out to be rebuilt. Thanks for showing that fix. It may be helpful for someone in the future, but I'm not sure if many would do it in thw field. Especially if they warranty their repairs. Let us know how it holds up down the road.

#11 MA tech.

MA tech.

Sōhei

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Amstel Light

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:40 PM

GE gotta luv 'em. Provide us with this very good tech manual for the ice maker. Really nice blow up breaking down every part on the friggin thing, what's missing? wait for it..... no individual components are available to make repairs to the IM.LOL. My experiences are usually just the opposite I can find the parts but was always unable to get technical advice to understand what the hell I was doing. Of course that is before I discovered "The Site". Because of the help of you guys Now I am an Appliance Repair God. Armed with information to get it done right.

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,832 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:57 PM

Click the link and they list it right there!  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GE, ice maker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics