Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Chessedork attacks again

Cheese Dork

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:46 AM

Against my better judgement.   I get a call 2 weeks ago from a former customer that had an expensive repair on a Neptune.   Tells me his son/law has a dryer where the element went out & was replaced by another relative.   Dryer spun before & did not heat.   Now it does nothing.     Talk to Son/law who is very pleasant I ask usual questions breakers, plugged in, etc.    Told dryer won't run after his cousin worked on it.

Make time the next afternoon to visit after explaining service fee is minimum expected.   Arrive at house Nobody home, call dud, tells me he had to go to Island & garrage is unlocked, go in.   Done this on a few other occasions no problem from anyone.  Find back of dryer off garage in disarray, clothes everywhere.

No power to receptical, call dude again & ask where breaker box is.     Find breakers tripped.    Throw back close, problem solved.   Do a thourough diagnostic including vent pressure test, venting up thru roof.     Find timer going bad, will not run in fluff cycle but runs & cycles in all other heat cycles. Put rear panel back on.  Does not pass vent test.

Call Dude again & explain problems & that will cost extra if he wants repaired.    Tells me he will do himself at another time.   OK.  Tell him he owes me service place tax.   Says leave bill (no one home) He will have wife send me a check with extra, thank you many times.

Week later no check.   I cal, no answer, mind you he answered promply every time before service,l leave a message for him several times for several days.  Finally I leave message that he obviously is ignoring me.     So I show up at house last night a 7.   Wife answers door, I recognise her as someone I know from grocery store, she recognizes me as customer.     Explain & am here to collect payment that is being ignored.   She says sorry & runs to get checkbook.

Meanwhile Dude is drunk, she tells him I am here to collect.  Dude goes into rant about being charged to throw breaker, I try to explain, one of the questions I asked was did he check breaker before showing up, plus I did a thourough diagnostic & wrote on invovoice problems with unit & that he declined repairs.   Also documented unit was apart & i out back together.  He again rants that machine does not work.  Wife says yes it does & shoves him back into house, shuts front door.    While she is trying to write check he comes back out of door with more rants.  She shoves him back in telling him dryer works, he is very drunk.  

Kinda of funny, I got my check which I immediately put in bank early this morning, I feel sorry for her, she really is nice at the store.   They got a superior service call at a very below cost price.   I have another cheese dork I will be wary about in future.     I don't have many, just a few.   I continue business as usual.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:51 PM

Chalk it up as a courtesy for your former customer with the Neptune and his long suffering daughter.  As far as her husband, hereby to be known as Jackhole, flag him for any future service.  I'm guessing he never had the vent cleared so he may be calling you again.  Be prepared.   :down:  

#3 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:21 PM

Yea he did. left a message, said he was not ignoring my calls rather he had been offshore for the last 2 weeks (lie).   Stated he was not going to pay me $70 (tax included) for "just throwing a breaker",   Also stated dryer never worked (his wife contradicted that statement, she does the wash)  And if I would come & fix it He would pay me $70.    I think he just sobered up & does not realize his better half already made good on the bill.     The more I know people the more I learn.   

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#4 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,172 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:51 PM

It's the old "no good deed goes unpunished" story. I've been seeing so many truly putrid human beings lately, I'm not sure I can stand to do this work anymore. I'm working myself to death for people I should be beating with a tire iron.  

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#5 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:38 PM

Truer words never spoken, Brother nick.  I think we've both been in this game longer than most.  And the burnout rate in this profession is huge.

But with my life experience, what are my options?  Go back to law enforcement........I'm not crooked enough.  Go back to preaching........I'm not a big enough hypocrite.  Nope.  I'm blessed.  Or cursed, take your pick.  Like I've said before, I'll probably die on some customer's kitchen floor, hopefully after finishing the repair.  At least they'll be able to read the company name on my shirt to know who to call to claim the carcass.

#6 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,721 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:46 PM

I'm working myself to death for people I should be beating with a tire iron.

you made my coffee run out of my nose... lol. The imagery is excellent and the sentiment is spot on. Tire iron..... roflmao

For me, after dealing with lying scuzzy criminal defendants, sleezy real estate agents, inhuman insurance adjusters, and lying arrogant money grubbing oposing lawyers (I'm sure they felt the same about me) it's actually a pleasure working with most of my clients.

First if it is a landlord or nobody is going to be home, they must prepay the $95 fee. If not, i will not go. If you find yourself in a situation where you were not aware they would leave you alone, you must present your findings in a way that would make them feel comfortable to pay.

Dont call and tell them "it was only your breaker." Instead, send them an invouce detailing the tests you performed... if they are not there during your tests, they have no idea what you did. Better yet, send them a video of your testing.

here is an example of a video i sent to a customer who wasn't around during the repair http://appliantology...ools-and-topics

If that doesn't work, you need to hire someone like Tommy Tire Irons or Benny Bags of Dirt to do your collections.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 15 March 2014 - 06:18 PM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#7 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:02 PM

But I did leave a detailed invoice with Time in -Time out & the details of the service call plus over the phone refusal of a replacement timer quote     All there Bro, a paper trail, something I always done.   Detailed records hold up in court.    Cheesedorks blowing smoke do not have a chance.   

That is an great idea video surveillance of the repair.

IgonFishn

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,163 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:05 PM

That is an great idea video surveillance of the repair.

Hence the genesis of my YouTube channel!  http://appliantology.tv

#9 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lion Imperial or Shiner Bock

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:33 AM

I'm still green compared to most of you guys: including trade school I've only been doing this about four years now.  I'm still learning something new every day.

To Nick's point: a lot of my customers could be jackholes or great people. I don't know.  I deliberately run my calls in a way to minimize customer interaction.  I make eye contact and smile when I come in, and say "I understand I have a ____ to look at. Okay, please lead the way."  When I get to the machine, I have the customer describe the problem while I write down the model and serial. I'll ask whatever diagnostic questions that come to mind while I'm doing things like take the kick plate off.  

Then I say the magic words I say on every call: "okay. I'll get to work on this and I will call you over as soon as I know anything." The vast majority of customers then wander off and go do something else.

I think it's essential to project the attitude of "okay, this is your house but this part of it is now my work area."  Most people respond positively when you project leadership. 

A few customers will want to watch me work. I always tell them, "you are welcome to watch me work. I'm going to be concentrating on this, so if you have questions, it may take me a little while to respond to them. I'm not being unfriendly, I'm just focusing on my job."  

On any given call, I usually have about five minutes of human-to-human time. The fewer opportunities I give someone to be a jackass, the fewer jackasses I run into. 

#10 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:16 AM

Many disgruntled customers can be converted to happy, paying customers by simply listening to their initial cares and concerns about the product and repair.  I do tend to take control of the situation when arriving on a service call.  Like Dan, once I start my work I don't expect to be interrupted.  But only after asking the customer questions about the trouble reported, other symptoms, prior service, etc.  And usually after listening I'll be able to tell them what I expect to check and find, and maybe a brief explanation about how their unit operates.  This tends to put the customer at ease with the product, the problem, and me.

There's always gonna be the customer that wants to sit in your lap and watch.  More and more I'm tempted to unplug the unit after completing the repair, turn to the customer, hold out a screwdriver and say, "Ok, your turn".

#11 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:32 AM

I must be an odd fish :)

I enjoy customer interaction/conversation---and encourage the customer to observe the diagnostic/repair.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#12 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,721 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:02 AM

I enjoy customer interaction as well.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#13 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:16 PM

Conversation?  No problem.  Sometimes I don't know when to stop.  I'm full of it......

#14 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lion Imperial or Shiner Bock

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:35 PM

Conversation?  No problem.  Sometimes I don't know when to stop.  I'm full of it......

That is exactly my problem. I'm pretty talkative, and if I get talking to a customer, I can lose focus. Also unfortunately I have found some people mistake being friendly with being a pushover. 

Everybody has the best work method for their own personality and business.  I'm not saying to be unfriendly, I'm just saying that focusing on the machine has really helped me stay in charge of the service call. 

And as someone else pointed out, the most important piece of customer interaction is having the customer come in and run the machine so that they agree the machine is repaired before I ask for payment.  If they're not happy or still worried, then I don't want the check. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics