Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GSHF5MGXCEBB

GE refrigerator

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nursingguy

nursingguy

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:In Recovery

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:06 PM

Hello All:

Refrigerator Model Number: GSHF5MGXCEBB

Problems:

No water dispensing, no ice making, no auger motion, no light in the dispenser area, and the digital readout on the freezer door is flashing 4 zero's (00 00). Now it is completely blank.

I have done the following:

Split the water line at the connector under the left front of the fridge and depressed the dispenser handle and it did nothing. I blew through the other end and it is clear, i.e. no frozen line.

I trouble shot the icemaker and found the molex connector was not pushed in all the way connecting the icemaker to the fridge. Problem solved, water valve now dispensing water to the icemaker and icemaker cycles fine.

I took apart the dispenser area and unplugged the interface board completely, I checked the micro switch and it is fine. The solenoid appeared to be fine as well. I put it all back together. I also looked in the ice bin and cleared out some stuck cubes.

At this point I plugged the fridge back in at the wall and everything came on appropriately. Remarkably, I was able to cycle the dispenser auger by depressing the cradle and it worked fine. I depressed the cradle and it gave me water, also the selector button worked when water was selected. The temp readout was reading fine.  8 minutes later, same problem. Flashing zeros, no water from dispenser and no auger motion, no light coming on in the dispenser area.

I looked over the main control board on the right rear, albeit much closer this time, and found what appeared to be a darker brown heat burn area on one part of the main control board. I replaced the board with a new board, same problems. I believe that some wiring needs to be removed/cut per the new board installation instructions. This fridge does have a run capacitor. See installation instructions for WR55X10942.

The doors are misaligned. I found out the door was replaced a few months ago. The freezer door extends a good 0.5" above the fresh food door and top of the fridge. I know that the water dispenser tube goes up through the freezer door cam areas, does some wiring as well? Perhaps we may have some pinched wires.

What are your thoughts?

Respect and thank you,

Mike

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:43 PM

Pull the toekick off and check for a corroded wire or wires at the connection down by the water line. Usually if you give a slight pull they will slide right out if they are corroded and you will see blue inside them. I've been able to splice some of those if they are broken but might be better soldered and shrink wrapped because they are so thin. Maybe try a butt splice and them heat shrink over them.

#3 nursingguy

nursingguy

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:27 PM

Pull the toekick off and check for a corroded wire or wires at the connection down by the water line. Usually if you give a slight pull they will slide right out if they are corroded and you will see blue inside them. I've been able to splice some of those if they are broken but might be better soldered and shrink wrapped because they are so thin. Maybe try a butt splice and them heat shrink over them.

Respect and thank you.

Mike

#4 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:35 PM

Was the freezer door the one replaced? If so the harness should be new but that doesn't mean the connector it hooked into doesn't have corrosion. Usually if the doors are misaligned it ia because a cam is worn. Sometimes they can adjusted by a screw. Other times the floor is uneven so it warps the frame to the point the doors are off.

#5 nursingguy

nursingguy

Samanera

• Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:17 PM

Yes, the freezer door was the one replaced, but someone other than I. I looked at the cams and they appeared to be in good shape.

I think you are on the right track, now I am. I got under the fridge to initially look over the water dispenser line to see if it was frozen, etc. I probably joggled the connection harness at the same time as they are next to each other. It was after this that "everything worked".

Will go by again and review this are.

Thank you again..

Mike

#6 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:36 PM

Sounds good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics