Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Testing the Control Timer GE Fridge GDS18LCR

GE Frig. Model GDS18LCR

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Storyman

Storyman

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:37 PM

I finally figured out how to get into the evaporator, heater, and fan compartment on my GE frig!!! Most of the infomation found on the Net said it was necessary to pull the rear wall panel of the freezer after removing the drawer. That isn't possible since the two sides and rear wall were molded as one piece! Then I tried removing the upper panel. It looked as if it would slide out after taking off the front retaining bar. Unfortunately it was held in place by the frig sheet metal sides. Actual access was achieved by removing the floor panel of the fresh food box. When I lifted the Styrofoam cover, I could see an accumulation of ice around the fan which had kept it from running. So cold air wasn't getting up to the fresh food box. However, the freezer compartment apparently was unaffected. After melting the ice and cleaning out the drain hole and hose, everything seemed to be working again. The next morning I expected to see some water in the catch pan I put below. When I opened the evaporator compartment, there was an accumulation of ice over the drain hole again, but not near as much as before. However, given enough time I was worried it might build it to stop the fan again. So I checked the heating element and it was 20 ohms, which seemed about right. Then I checked it there was any voltage across it when the compressor stopped. There was none. So far, I've been unsuccessful in seeing the heater go on. Now here are my questions:

1. How often does a frig heater usually go on during a 24 hour period?

2. Is the timer on this GE Model a solid state device, and if so is there anyway to manually cycle it to turn on the heater?

3. The control module on this frig seems to be in the left corner of the evaporator compartment. Does anybody know how to get it out of there and test it?

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 15 March 2014 - 12:48 AM.
added model number to topic title

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,437 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:45 AM

Please make sure to follow instructions next time and place the model number in the topic title. You placed it in the topic tag but some mobile versions will not show it. I will edit it this time. Also make sure to provide the complete model number as found on the nomenclature tag found in the fresh food section and not a number from advertising stickers or owners manual. Thanks!

the timer for this model cycles defrost for 25 minutes every 6 hours of run time

Part number: AP2061708

Part number: AP2061708

enter manual defrost by advancing the timer... your timer is located in the ff compartment.

I never heard of a controller in the evap compartment.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 15 March 2014 - 01:23 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 vee8power

vee8power

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Folgers

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:18 AM

Putting the model# only in the topic tag makes it hard to copy and past it somewhere- not good for a guy with CRS like me!

#4 Storyman

Storyman

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:34 AM

Sorry about my title post mistake. This is the first time I asked for help with an appliance. I wasted a lot of time trying to get into the evaporator compartment from the freezer. Everybody was saying that's how to get at it in my particular model! GE apparently made two versions of the bottom freezer frig with the same or similar numbers.

Anyway, I left the frig running overnight and didn't see any water in my catch pan.  So I think the evaporator drain is iced up again but not enough the stop the fan.

I thought the control timer was in with the evaporator because there is a small insulated box with lid in the left rear of the assembly. It contains two wire harness connectors, one for the fan and the other for the rest of the components in there (multiple wires).  After disconnecting both, most of the wires go into a round thingy that looks like it twists out.  So either it's the timer or a glorified grommet. I may be able to borrow an event counter later today to see if the heater gets turned on or not.  Meanwhile, please tell me exactly where the timer is in the FF compartment - In the light assembly box or at the rear where the temperature control is?

#5 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:56 AM

look for a little plug or a small hole that you could put a screw driver in.  You should be able to see it, the little round part you turn to advance it manually.  My guess is near the temp. control but could be in the light compartment.

Doc

#6 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:18 PM

My guess is near the temp. control but could be in the light compartment.

Doc

Yeah, you can't tell much by looking at the diagram... even though the picture of it is shown at the bottom near the freezer, I think it is in the ff section. Maybe op meant refrigerator compartment when he said evaporator compartment when discussing controls

#7 Storyman

Storyman

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

No, I actually thought the timer was in that little insulated box ( a 4" X 4" X 4" cubical) where the two connectors are.  That's under the FF refrigerator floor panel with the evaporator, heater, and fan.  However, you are probably right that it's in the unit's temperature control box, but locating it is not a pressing problem anymore.  Around noon today I heard water coming down the defrost drain pipe.  Checked the heater and it was warm!  So I am satisfied the reason this frig didn't cool the FF compartment was a clogged sump line.  So everything is going back together today.  My frig needed a good cleaning anyway.  Thanks for your help!

Bob Aubert

#8 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:56 PM

Well let me say this.  I was confused as to what you were talking about as well.  It is very possible that your timer is in that box under the refrigerator on the left side or in the middle on the bottom.  GE put a lot of there timers down there.  You should still be able to see a hole for manually turning the timer to test it.  Take a flash light and look closely to see if you can see the timer button that you turn it with.  The cover usually has a hole in it where you can access the dial.

Doc

#9 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:18 PM

No, I actually thought the timer was in that little insulated box ( a 4" X 4" X 4" cubical) where the two connectors are.  That's under the FF refrigerator floor panel with the evaporator, heater, and fan.  However, you are probably right that it's in the unit's temperature control box, but locating it is not a pressing problem anymore.  Around noon today I heard water coming down the defrost drain pipe.  Checked the heater and it was warm!  So I am satisfied the reason this frig didn't cool the FF compartment was a clogged sump line.  So everything is going back together today.  My frig needed a good cleaning anyway.  Thanks for your help!

Bob Aubert

I think you mean the condenser fan motor and condenser, not evaporator.

#10 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Earl Grey

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:31 PM

The timer is indeed in the FF section. On the left hand side of the bridge at the top-back that has the temperature knobs on it. You get to the guts (evaporator, fan, etc.) through the floor of the FF section. Typically you remove a piece of trim on the front and a screw then (carefully!) bend and twist the plastic floor panel out. Be sure to tape the seams on the Styrofoam when you put it all back together, or you may end up with frozen vegies.

#11 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

The timer is indeed in the FF section. On the left hand side of the bridge at the top-back that has the temperature knobs on it. You get to the guts (evaporator, fan, etc.) through the floor of the FF section. Typically you remove a piece of trim on the front and a screw then (carefully!) bend and twist the plastic floor panel out. Be sure to tape the seams on the Styrofoam when you put it all back together, or you may end up with frozen vegies.

thanks for clarifying that.  I was getting confused.  Now I understand what he was talking about with the evap in between the freezer and refer.  Is this an older refrigerator or are the new ones like this as well?

#12 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

Defrost Timer # 47

Cold Control # 49

G0401047-00004.png

Edited by RegUS_PatOff, 15 March 2014 - 02:18 PM.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#13 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:15 PM

yeah #47 but with that diagram you have to assume it's in the ff compartment. Timers aren't in the freezer but if you didn't know that or didn't have thetech sheet, how would you tell which compartment the temp control is located?

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 15 March 2014 - 02:20 PM.

#14 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:19 PM

1. How often does a frig heater usually go on during a 24 hour period?

2. Is the timer on this GE Model a solid state device, and if so is there anyway to manually cycle it to turn on the heater?

3. The control module on this frig seems to be in the left corner of the evaporator compartment. Does anybody know how to get it out of there and test it?

1) depending on how it's wired / designed, it may only Defrost 1/day, maybe for 20 minutes,

The Compressor will stop during every Defrost cycle, but the it doesn't Defrost everytime the Compressor stops.

2) mechanical Defrost Timer

3) not electronic control

... from looking at the diagram how would you tell which compartment the temp control is located?

inside wherever # 28 is

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#15 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:24 PM

yeah, if you were there to look at it... I mean from afar. #28 looks as though it is near and below the evap, based on the diagram... The point being, silly diagram or lazy person who made it.

i think he was referring to the defrost cycle of his fridge. Previously answered as 25 min each 6 hours of run time

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 15 March 2014 - 02:30 PM.

#16 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:40 PM

Thanks for the diagram, I was still thinking the freezer was on top.  I don't think i've run into this baby yet, nice to know.  Thanks.  That's why I love following these forums, always learn new stuff. :rocker: you guys rock!

#17 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:40 PM

is this an older refrigerator or are the new ones like this as well?

this is a 2001 model

mini manual and training bulletin http://appliantology...ining-bulletin/

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 15 March 2014 - 02:41 PM.

#18 Storyman

Storyman

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:35 PM

The date on my frig is 2003. Apparently some GE bottom drawer freezer, single upper door models were made in Canada.  Mine was manufactured in Singapore.  Don't we make any appliances here anymore?  Bob Aubert 

#19 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:08 PM

yes, I should have said it is a 2001 design.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 16 March 2014 - 02:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics