Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool EC5100XEB1 Evaporator thermostat loose

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vee8power

vee8power

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Folgers

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:06 PM

I found a free ice machine that's almost perfect for my needs. It's the right size, doesn't make a lot of noise or heat, and it has no stinkin' control board or thermistors!

The thing is though, the evaporator thermostat fell off the evaporator, a common problem I guess. The unit works fine if I switch it manually between freeze and harvest. This article has a whole section on this issue.

http://www.truetex.com/icemachine.htm

I figure it's written for the DIYer when he now recommends using a bracket to wedge the thermostat bracket to the evaporator. That seems kind of cheesy to me. Soldering seems like the best option for somebody with the skill. Anybody have experience with this repair? What did you do? Solder, epoxy , or wedge it in?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:32 PM

Any pics of what the tstat looks like and where it is to be hooked? Can't say I've messed with this model ice machine.

#3 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:05 AM

Whirlpools method to fix this is a kit with a spring metal plate that wedges the t-stat sensor plate between one of the refrigerate lines and the evaporator plate.

Part number: 8201758

Part number: 8201758

Attached is the Whirlpool service bulletin R8178560 (January 2006)

Attached Files

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#4 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:00 AM

Thanks for the pointer, Willie.  I must've missed it.  Would've saved at lot of old EC5100s from the scrap heap if they had that fix available sooner.

#5 vee8power

vee8power

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Folgers

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

Yes, Thank You. I'll have to order one of those brackets. I was wanting to solder it but bending the lines is a risk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics