Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

vee8power

Whirlpool EC5100XEB1 Evaporator thermostat loose

5 posts in this topic

I found a free ice machine that's almost perfect for my needs. It's the right size, doesn't make a lot of noise or heat, and it has no stinkin' control board or thermistors!

The thing is though, the evaporator thermostat fell off the evaporator, a common problem I guess. The unit works fine if I switch it manually between freeze and harvest. This article has a whole section on this issue.

http://www.truetex.com/icemachine.htm

I figure it's written for the DIYer when he now recommends using a bracket to wedge the thermostat bracket to the evaporator. That seems kind of cheesy to me. Soldering seems like the best option for somebody with the skill. Anybody have experience with this repair? What did you do? Solder, epoxy , or wedge it in?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Any pics of what the tstat looks like and where it is to be hooked? Can't say I've messed with this model ice machine.

Thanks for the pointer, Willie.  I must've missed it.  Would've saved at lot of old EC5100s from the scrap heap if they had that fix available sooner.

Yes, Thank You. I'll have to order one of those brackets. I was wanting to solder it but bending the lines is a risk.