Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Hard start on Kenmore ref rig 106.53436300

Repair

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 davidtreadway60

davidtreadway60

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:miller lite

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:37 PM

Can you install a hard start in place of the factory starter on this refrig?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:38 PM

You can but I wouldn't recommend it unless the compressor is failing. Then it's just a bandaid fix until the compressor goes out.

Edited by BryanS, 17 March 2014 - 07:48 PM.

#3 davidtreadway60

davidtreadway60

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:02 PM

Here's the story. The refrigerator stopped working. So the repairman came and put a hard start instead of the factory part(later after I thought about what he did I said to myself that he didn't have the original part with him so he put this hard start on just to get it running and collect some money). The reason I say that is because this refrigerator is not that old and has been maintained. Now the refrigerator is running sometimes and sometimes it's not. Maybe like the thermostat is not working properly. But the refrigerator was working perfectly before all this started. I'm thinking that it needs the factory compressor starter and maybe everything will be ok. Any thought on this?

#4 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:09 PM

How old is the fridge? Is there a blue indian head on the compressor? Those Tecumsehs are known for bad start windings which would cause intermittent compressor running or not at all. Did the old relay rattle when you shake it? It may not have even been a compressor issue and maybe it is a bad tstat. What do you mean it is running sometimes and sometimes it's not? Are any fans running when you have a cooling issue and just the compressor isn't?

#5 davidtreadway60

davidtreadway60

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:25 PM

The fridge is 9 years old. I don't know if the old relay rattled or not. What I mean by fudge running sometimes and not is: after he installed the hard start the fridge started running so everybody thought all is a-ok but, the next day I went in to the freezer to get some ice cream and it was soft and the ice in the bucket had started to melt but at that time the compressor was running, so I checked it on and off for the rest of the day and sometimes it was running and sometimes it was not when it should have been to maintain correct temp in fridge. What I'm saying is that it does sound like a tstat problem all along. Your last question: When the repairman asked me to turn the tstat to colder to see what was going on yes the fan started running but no compressor.

#6 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:36 PM

It's really hard to say. If the fans are running and the compressor isn't then no it wouldn't be a thermostat. You very well could have one of the Tecumseh (indian head on it) compressors. If it is having trouble starting then you very well need a new a compressor. Once the windings go bad a hard start may keep it alive for only a few days or maybe even years. It's hard to say how long a hard start would make it last. Sometimes you can tell if a thermostat is goinf bad by renoving the knob and looking for a black powder under it. Also if nothing is running you can hit under the tstat with your palm and see if everything kicks on.

Edited by BryanS, 17 March 2014 - 08:37 PM.

#7 davidtreadway60

davidtreadway60

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:39 PM

Thanks

#8 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet Pepsi

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:29 PM

Can you double check your model number? I can't get that number to come up.

#9 davidtreadway60

davidtreadway60

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:25 AM

model # 106.53634300. I rechecked and this is correct. I was able to pull it up.

#10 Gnominator77

Gnominator77

Ikkō-ikki

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Molson Canadian

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:37 AM

I have changed many of this style cold control for the exact same symptoms you are experiencing. I would look at that as the cause rather than the compressor. While you're at it, I would get the proper compressor relay/overload on it as soon as possible. BTW this model has the very reliable Embraco compressor in it.. but they did have relay issues and put out a kit to correct those issues.

Cold control:

http://www.repaircli...at/2198202/2299

Compressor relay:

http://www.repaircli...8201786/1177466

#11 davidtreadway60

davidtreadway60

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:13 AM

THANKS

#12 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:23 AM

I have changed many of this style cold control for the exact same symptoms you are experiencing. I would look at that as the cause rather than the compressor. While you're at it, I would get the proper compressor relay/overload on it as soon as possible. BTW this model has the very reliable Embraco compressor in it.. but they did have relay issues and put out a kit to correct those issues.

Cold control:

http://www.repaircli...at/2198202/2299

Compressor relay:

http://www.repaircli...8201786/1177466

Just for my own curiosity how do you know what compressor is in this by the model number? Even if I look it up on the parts list it will only show the new compressor for them. I know those Tecumseh were in during certain years. I feel like I have seen those in as late as 2006, which at 9 years old would put this fridge around 2005.

#13 Gnominator77

Gnominator77

Ikkō-ikki

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Molson Canadian

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:37 AM

By the crossover relay number... the 8201786 is designed for the Embraco compressors. 

#14 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:38 AM

Hmm. Interesting. Thanks.

#15 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,763 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:58 AM

Show did your service guy not have an 8201786. Everybody has those. I would pull that hard start off ASAP and get an oem one on.

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#16 davidtreadway60

davidtreadway60

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:40 PM

I have a Kenmore model # 106.53634300 refrigerator and I replaced the thermostat because the refrigerator would come on and get up to temperature and cut off but, would not come back on when it needed to. The ice in the door would start to melt and then it would finally come on. I addressed this problem on this forum last week and everybody thought it needed a thermostat. Any suggestions?

#17 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:50 PM

Did you try to bump the tstat to see if that made it come on or off before you replaced? Someone else mentioned a possible intermittent defrost timer to I believe. If the fans are running but you aren't getting cooling it could be a failing compressor relay. I've seen the solid black style that has the capacitor clipped on to it not always kick on when they are failing and they don't get the bad relay rattle.

Just an FYI, I do not think they want you starting new topics to address the same appliance. More than likely this will get merged into the old thread from last week.

#18 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,721 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:14 PM

yeah, I am looking for the older topic to not only get background info but to possibly merge the topics. However, I cannot seem to find the thread you are talking about.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#19 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:19 PM

Yea all I see is ice maker auger questions and a hard start question. I had this confused with another 106 Whirlpool thermostat issue someone else posted.

#20 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,721 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:34 PM

yeah but he said he got advice to replace the thermostat....interested to find out why that was given.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics