Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Cold Control Installation SZ 561, part 4201260

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 LenCT

LenCT

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:coors

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:36 PM

The refrigerator side of my Sub-zero 561 is getting warm, even though the control is set to 10.  I suspect the cold control, part 4201260.  Before I buy another unit (which are expensive and hard to find), I wanted to check the installation of the current one.  I read in some other posts that there is an installation diagram, but I can't locate it.  Does the capillary bulb go directly behind the evaporator?  Looks like mine is hanging below it.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:09 PM

Before you buy a new cold control, show a picture of the evaporator  for an uneven frost pattern. If you have an ice ball on one side of the evaporator, the cold control is not your problem.

Scott Wolf

#3 LenCT

LenCT

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:22 AM

Will check the evaporator later today.

Last night, I was able to start the compressor by turning the control knob off and on several times.  The system seemed to work perfectly and the air temperature went down to 35.  Overnight though, the temperature crept up to 39 and the compressor will not turn on.  Turned the knob again - just like last night - and no response.  No noise, no clicks, no fan, nothing.

I've suspected the cold control because I had similar symptoms a few years ago.  Is it possible that there's a problem with the starting system for the compressor? 

#4 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:25 AM

Need serial number please............Part number break for your cold control.................Could be P/N 4201260....OR.....P/N 4200930...........This P/N 4201260, uses two capillary  tubes..........An O.E.M. part will have instructions on the correct location of each cap. tube.......And,   if your evaporator panel is of newer design.................................Ditto on the eyes to the evaporator ..................Both items are located behind the evap panel  anyway.......................................P.S.   Installed  a new Sub-O  550 cold control ( same P/N ) few years ago, just replaced it last month............ .

Edited by certified tech group 51, 18 March 2014 - 09:29 AM.

#5 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:42 AM

Concur with the Brethren on checking the evaporator frost pattern.  These mechanical thermostats do fail and when replacing, the cap tube goes on the center/front of the evaporator, and can be held in place by pinching the surrounding fins together.  The bulb mounts a few inches below the evaporator.

How's the condenser look?  Good air flow?  Sometimes vacuuming and brushing can't completely clear the coil on these older units.  Might need some compressed air to be sure.  Feel around the top/front of the cabinet behind the refrigerator door.  If it feels warmer than usual it could indicate excessive compressor run time.

#6 LenCT

LenCT

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:22 PM

Serial number is M1365255.

I checked the condenser and did not find any significant blockage.   I don't think the problem is cooling efficiency, as when I can get the compressor to run, it cools quite well.

My problem is that the compressor does not start automatically.  I have to turn the control up and down, sometimes for several minutes over 30-45 minutes, to get the compressor running.  Also, the circulation fan does not run when the compressor is not running.  I don't know if they are interlocked, or started separately by a signal from the controller.

Will check the evaporator and physical installation in a few minutes.

#7 LenCT

LenCT

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:30 PM

Had some time to work on the problem.  I set the refrigerator cold control to OFF and unloaded the unit.  Removed the shelves and loosened the back panel.  Turned the cold control to 4 and the compressor started.  Checked the fan switch and it runs also.  Closed the door and let the unit run about 15 minutes.  When I returned, the compressor was off.  I checked the evaporator and there is no sign of ice.  I turned the cold control to 10 but the compressor will not run.

Looks like the small capillary tube is installed about 1/3 of the way from the left end.  The bottom extends about 1 inch below the evaporator.  The bulb is installed in the plastic clip.  There  is no sign of damage to the tubes.

#8 LenCT

LenCT

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:04 PM

Removed the cold control from the back panel and disconnected the power.  Checked continuity, open circuit on OFF, closed circuit when control knob is turned on.  I did notice that the knob is much easier to turn after I took it off the panel.  It also makes a distinct click at the off/on point.  Reconnected the power and turned the knob about a quarter turn and the compressor started.  Let run about 15 minutes and the compressor was off.  Turned the control up and the compressor started right away.

Is it possible to overtighten the nuts when I installed it before?  Could that bind the t-stat spring so it wouldn't make contact?

#9 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:11 AM

On the cold control the is three wires..one ground...one  black (?)  and one gray ( ? )......Built your self a 'Jumper' wire............. Use two insulated male 1/4 inch connectors..........Connect the Black ? and Gray ?  wires........This is wiring the compressor direct, removing the cold control out of the system..................Install the ' Jumper, return it 20 minutes, Still running ????.

#10 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:51 AM

Cold control..................... Serial number .......Start with  #M821354/P612141...Use Part Number 4201260....................Prior to S/N   #M821354/ P612141.................. Use P/N  4200930

#11 LenCT

LenCT

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:03 PM

Jumped the connection as you suggested.  Compressor has been running about 90 minutes without interruption.  Temperature started at 51F.  Temperature at bottom is now 36F.  Top is still in the upper 40's, but I don't know how well the fan circulates are with the shelves and back panel removed.  All coils are starting to develop frost.

I did get a new cold control today.  The price increased 75% in five years, but it's a lot cheaper than a new unit.  I will install in a day or two, as we want to clean/sanitize the unit while it's taken apart.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics