Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Customers who forgot what you did and loose invoices

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:34 PM

I just love these customers who call 4 months after a service call and totally forgot what you did and they loose their copy of the invoice and call you for another problem, but when you get there it's a totally different problem and they refuse to pay you any more money.

Here is the scenario:

Back in November  I had a customer who called me at 2:00 AM on a Sunday Thanksgiving weekend about a 20 year old Whirlpool direct drive washer going off balance.

When i got there promptly on Monday morning  I noticed the frame of the washer totally rusted out and there was no place for the rear suspension spring to attach to.  I don't mean surface rust, but the kind of rust that is totally unrepairable and no way to fix the washer but to order a whole new base.   I charged him $59.95 which is our trip charge and a $42.00 diagnostic fee which required removing the cabinet to find the rear suspension spring just hanging there.

Today he calls back and  tells me he just bought a new washer and he wants me to come and remove his old one and take it with me. The washer is down his basement. He tells me he will not pay me any more money to come remove his washer.

He also tells me that I was there for the washer leaking and something about a bad lid switch.  That was not the case.  I told him there was no way to fix the washer COST EFFECTIVELY because I would have to order a new base for the washer which is an expensive part and the labor involved would be close to $400.00

So he paid me the that day when I came out in November and now 4 months later  he expects me to come remove his washer which is down his basement for free?  I don't think so.  What would you guys do?

Scott Wolf

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:38 PM

Send a fax copy of the receipt and advise customer to check in craigslist for scrap haulers...

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#3 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:25 AM

So he paid me the that day when I came out in November and now 4 months later  he expects me to come remove his washer which is down his basement for free?  I don't think so.  What would you guys do?

Wait, is this a trick question?

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect or represent the views and opinions held by my employer. All data and information provided is for informational purposes only.

Big Brother

#4 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:16 AM

tell him to call 1 800 junk, or whatever that company is with the catchy commercials

#5 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

Let it rust until he needs a shovel to remove it.  I wonder why the old unit wasn't hauled off when the new washer was delivered.  I figure it was delivered since this customer doesn't sound capable (mentally, physically, psychologically) of doing it himself.

I'm always amazed when customers purchase a new product from another dealer, but then call me to complain.   :answer:  

#6 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,992 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:05 AM

This is the exact reason I just went paperless. Now they can search their email for their invoice instead of losing it in 3 days. I would let the customer know what you did (fax it like john said) and then explain what your service covered last time and that you don't remove old appliances for free. Let him know possibly who would do this for him like a junk man or something.

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#7 KurbyMstr

KurbyMstr

Sōhei

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Cherry Coke

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:02 PM

I had a customer that called the next day saying that I didn't do anything except charge her.  She watched me clean the coils on the fridge and change a coupling on her washer.  I lowered the price to help her, she didn't have much.  What she did have was a lost mind.  She had barricaded herself in her home and covered all the windows with bed sheets.  I said there was no way I was going back to that home.  I also called the state number what is like child protective services, but for adults that aren't well.

#8 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:13 PM

Let it rust until he needs a shovel to remove it.  I wonder why the old unit wasn't hauled off when the new washer was delivered.  I figure it was delivered since this customer doesn't sound capable (mentally, physically, psychologically) of doing it himself.

I'm always amazed when customers purchase a new product from another dealer, but then call me to complain.   :answer:  

Yup, let me wait until 2AM on Sunday morning of a major holiday to call him and tell him I won't be picking up his washer. See how he likes it.

Scott Wolf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics