Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

My Dryer Ventilation blues.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lurker_briango_*

Lurker_briango_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 09 May 2005 - 04:19 PM

Ok. I have a horrible problem. Not long ago, my old dryer finally went kaplooie (It was over 20 years old). I have just moved into a new house about 3 years ago. When I moved here, I noticed the dryer's performance waning, but chalked it up to old age. It would take longer and longer for it to dry my clothes. Anyway, when it went kaplooie, I bought a new GE dryer and was surprised to find the same problem. What's worse? The vent system for my dryer goes under ground (through the concrete slab) and about 20 feet to the edge of my house through the ground. The piping is plastic PVC pipe (pretty sure it's that way all the way through), and has filled up with water. (Presumably rain water from a leakage on the outside of my home.)

Now, I'm super annoyed about this problem. I know (after reading the guide on this site) that plastic piping is no good for dryer vents; I know that the longer the vent system the more energy wasting there is. There's no way to run a short vent because of the layout of my house. The laundry niche is right next to my garage, but no exterior wall. Should I run a new vent system through the ceiling? Should I try and stick with the plastic underground pipe? How on earth will I get all that water out? The leak is surely at the top of the pipe, but I'm scared at the prospect of years and years of not being able to clean the lent from the piping.

What should I do?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 jtimco

jtimco

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 06:02 PM

I am not a professional but I instralled all of the mechanical in my new house.  I would have to look to make a recomendation but as you described it; I personally would get a new vent.  Up through the ceiling, out the eve.

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,709 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 09 May 2005 - 10:26 PM

I've dealt with the whole question of a PVC dryer vent embedded in concrete before. Your experience is ezzacly why I strongly discourage this arrangement.

You really have no choice but to abandon this hack-job dryer vent and run a new, properly-designed and installed dryer vent.

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 10 May 2005 - 11:00 AM

You could not run a new vent into the garage, would be nice and short, and put a lint trap on the vent in the garage so as not to get lint all in the garage and on the cars???
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 03:20 PM

Did you try to suck the water out with a shop vac?  I recently had the same problem on a range vent and that's what I did.

Did you really go out and spend your money on a GE when you had a choice?!?!:argh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics