Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore 587.1416580 water shield trouble

dishwasher kenmore

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 georgem

georgem

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:coffee

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:25 AM

I have this fairly old dish washer which still works no worse than when new, but it now makes a racket when the motor is running. I've made a bit of a study underneath the thing and can see the cause of the noise, that being the 'water shield' on the motor shaft. It's sort of wobbling on the shaft and is no longer mounted parallel to the top of the motor. When it wobbles on spinning it sometimes hits a bit on the surrounding metal bits.

So for now even though it seems to be still functional, the racket is irritating.

So the current question(s):

I can buy that part for around $3 from Sears and various other places. Looking at the parts diagrams and looking at the thing underneath from the front it's not at all clear how that thing is mounted on the motor shaft in the first place... like just pressed on or what? If I just need to replace it I am wondering if I can get the motor out with the (built in) dishwasher in place, as opposed to needing to pull the entire thing out from under the counter?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:02 PM

Yes, it just sits on the motor shaft.

No, there is no way to replace it without completely taking the motor out and totally disassembling ALL parts off of the motor. (Not worth it on a 20 year old dishwasher.) If you do go ahead with it, you WILL have something leak if you don't replace the motor seals and gaskets.

Edited by Scottthewolf, 20 March 2014 - 05:03 PM.

Scott Wolf

#3 georgem

georgem

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:coffee

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:37 AM

Thanks, and I was afraid of that. We've thought for a while that it might just be time to replace it. I think if I have to go to the trouble to get the entire thing out of it's mounted location I'd rather just be sticking a new one in there.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dishwasher, kenmore

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics