Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Front load washer trouble

Amana no spin error code nd

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 NScott

NScott

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:earl grey

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:59 AM

My Amana front load washer model # NFW7200TW (6 yrs old) will give me the code "nd" for no drain. The cycle times have also changed from their original settings. I've run the diagnostics and everything passes. The low water level reads _1, which means it is above level. I got the diagnostic codes of 1 and 8E. 1 points to no drain, I've checked the pump and it is clear. 8E is not listed in the booklet together, but apart they both refer to the water level sensor. I had a repairman (referred by Amana) look at it and he said it was the electronic control board part #W10273828 (due to cycle times changing). I replaced that and it worked fine for 5 loads and then it went back and did the same thing as before. It washes, drains, rinses, drains, no spin. (although, sometimes it will work normally).Does anyone know what would cause the nd code and cycle time changes?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,633 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:03 PM

My Amana front load washer model # NFW7200TW (6 yrs old) will give me the code "nd" for no drain. 

Stop right there! No sense going down rabbit holes with changed cycle times and all that other business. 

Does the washer, in fact, not drain?  If the washer does not drain, then you start troubleshooting right there. In accordance with the 6th Law of the Prophecy, we begin troubleshooting right at the thing that ain't doing its Thang. In this case, that would be the drain pump.

#3 NScott

NScott

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:08 PM

The washer drains fine. I hear the water go out.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,633 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:20 PM

It sounds like the pressure switch is thinking there is still water in the tub. This can be caused by dried suds and other gookus getting caught in the pressure dome or the pressure tube that goes up to the pressure switch. This commonly occurs as a result of using non-HE detergent or too much HE detergent in the washer. The correct amount of HE detergent to use is no more than 2 tablespoons.

Remove the pressure tube from the pressure switch and blow through it to clear any obstruction that may be interfering with the change in pressure signal to the switch.

#5 NScott

NScott

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:29 PM

Thanks for your help. I read in another post about the suds thing. ( I have a 16 yr old that does her own wash. I'm starting to think that she uses the "more is better theory")  As soon as I get some muscle over here to move my machines (stacked) I'll give it a go and let you know how I make out (hopefully I'll get someone over tomorrow to help me). Thanks again.

#6 NScott

NScott

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:12 PM

Ok, I got the washer moved so I could get into it. I removed the tube and blew through it. After reattatching the tube and pluging the washer back in I had the correct cycle time again. I ran an empty cycle and it ran fine. I ran the quick service test, board output and input tests. I ran the diagnostic test and had no error codes, The low water level read _0, as it should. I did a real load after that, (measured 2 tbls He detergent) and it gave me the "nd"  code again. I unplugged it and blew through the pressure tube again. Plugged it back in and ran a rinse and spin cycle to finish up my wash load. It ran fine. (Before I did that, I ran the diagnostics again. I got the 01 for no drain, and the low water level read _1, for above level). Do you think that my sensor is bad?

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,633 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:20 PM

It does sound like the pressure sensor has gone flakey.  It's not unusual for excessive suds to take out a sensor.  Part number: AP4044328

Part number: AP4044328

It's also possible there's still dried suds gookus in the tube or pressure done on the drum.  The pressure dome is hard to clean out but could try running a clean cycle with Affresh.

The pressure tube can just be replaced Part number: AP4044603

Part number: AP4044603

#8 NScott

NScott

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:47 PM

Ok, I'll get some afresh and run it through. Then I'll try a new sensor if that doesn't work. I'll keep you updated. Thanks for all the help.

#9 NScott

NScott

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

Ok, I ran a cycle following the directions on the box of Afresh. I got the "nd" code while doing that. When this happens I unplug the machine, remove the tube from the sensor and blow through it, I also blow into the sensor where the tube connects. Then I put it back together, plug the machine in and it will work again. I ran a rinse and spin cycle to finish the Afresh load.

When I next attempted to do wash, it ran normal. The next load did not, again with the sensor and tube clearing. Now today I have been washing and have done 5 loads and all have finished normally (yea!). Do you think that the problem was gunk and is resolved now? I hope so. What is your opinion?

Also as a little tip, you and many others have said about how much HE detergent to use for a wash load. The directions on the products themselves use way more than has been advised, so measuring 2 tablespoons is hard with the lids of detergent bottles. I found the perfect measure, the little dose cups that come with medicine, (like niquil or any othe cold medicine). They are measured in tablespoons so its perfect. I keep it right with my detergent now.

Thank you for all the help and advise.

#10 NScott

NScott

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:36 AM

Update.

Started to do the same thing again. I've ordered the presure sensor that you recomemded. Hopefully that will resolve my "nd" issue. I'll keep you posted.

#11 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:16 AM

It'll be a good idea to replace the pressure hose along with the switch, as advised.

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,633 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:02 AM

Pressure hose Part number: AP4044603

Part number: AP4044603

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Amana, no spin, error code nd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics