Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Time to sent to that old scrap pile of appliance heaven

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dave316

dave316

Samanera

• Professional Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:jack and coke

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:53 PM

Ever get a job where ur like its not worth fixing and tell customer it's time to say bye bye ?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,892 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:30 PM

I tell them the cost of the repair and then let them make the determination as to whether it is cost effective. There are many variables the customer has to consider, many of which we may not realize such as immediate financial situation, availability of a replacement and customer attachment to the appliance.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 J5

J5

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:02 PM

several every week

you have to remember that you are doing a repair and if they are going to put substantial amount of

money into it what will happen if it breaks down a week later

i usually use the formula of depreciation

say for a $1000 dishwasher , if its 9 years old there is say 1 year to go looking at a 10  year life

if you were to put $300 of parts into it will you get another 3 years without something going wrong ?

unlikely  so put that $300 towards a new one and have a new product with new warranty

9/10 people go with my advice and are greatful for being told the honest truth

as above i give the options and what i would do if i was in their situation so its in their hands

you often get people that are about to sell the house or just dont have the cash to buy something new so they go with the repair

but again back to the beginning , what do you think will happen in the near future with this product ??

#4 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:59 PM

Yeah, It happened to me the other day.  A couple of months ago I replaced a motor capacitor on an  15 year old Amana top load washer.  Now the motor is bad and needs replacing.  New motor is over $200 retail just for the part.

Both the customer and me decided it's time for her to buy a new washer.

Edited by Scottthewolf, 22 March 2014 - 11:59 PM.

Scott Wolf

#5 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:38 AM

Sometimes you just can't talk them out of a repair.

"They don't make this color anymore, I'll never get a new one to match my other 20-year-old appliances"

"I'm environmentally conscious, I'll spend the $1200 to repair it and keep it out of the landfill"

(the oil filled compressor, rubber door gaskets, heat exchanger, drier filter and other misc parts all went to the landfill instead, not to mention R-12 and energy consumed by the ancient refrigerator).

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect or represent the views and opinions held by my employer. All data and information provided is for informational purposes only.

Big Brother

#6 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,892 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:05 PM

Sometimes you just can't talk them out of a repair.

"They don't make this color anymore, I'll never get a new one to match my other 20-year-old appliances"

"I'm environmentally conscious, I'll spend the $1200 to repair it and keep it out of the landfill"
(the oil filled compressor, rubber door gaskets, heat exchanger, drier filter and other misc parts all went to the landfill instead, not to mention R-12 and energy consumed by the ancient refrigerator).

I hear this all the time. I may give only general advice but never anything as rigid as using a formula. I will tell them, however, if I am doing an expensive repair on a stove for instance, that some of the major parts are no longer available. This info can affect their decision.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics