Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

lg

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 mark mac

mark mac

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:19 AM

LG tryin to get me to come work for them as a repair tech, anybody have any dealings with them

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:58 AM

Customer told me that an LG tech came to work on her range (recall), he showed up around 7PM due to the fact he was overworked since he was the only LG tech in the area. She also told me, despite that, he seemed very happy, because he USED to work for Sears!    :whistling:

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect or represent the views and opinions held by my employer. All data and information provided is for informational purposes only.

Big Brother

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,830 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:09 PM

LG is trying to get me, too, but after hearing from john63 and others about some of the nasty changes they've made in dealing with their servicers, I think I'll pass.  

#4 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:56 PM

I think Mark Mac means as an employee of LG, not an authorized warranty servicer.

Scott Wolf

#5 mark mac

mark mac

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:33 PM

yes an employee lg hiring down south

#6 B4UTRUST

B4UTRUST

Yamabushi

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:44 PM

Well, I'm fairly new on this board but I was an LG tech up until Feb of this year. I was with them for about five and a half years. The experience has been up and down, honestly more down than up. To me, other techs and some of the office people it was more of a downward slide type of job that just seemed to even out for a bit before going down some more. Take that as you will.

The pay was good, the benefits were nice, but the job wasn't all that great.

I can answer any specific questions you have though.

Owner/Operator Flagship Appliance Repair

#7 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:59 PM

What were the good points of working for LG and what were the bad points?

Scott Wolf

#8 B4UTRUST

B4UTRUST

Yamabushi

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:52 PM

Good points: 

Pay and benefits - I started off at $21 and change an hour, when I left in Feb I was making a little over $22. Time and a half at overtime. Good health insurance, blue cross blue shield preferred PPO. Covered medical, dental, vision and prescription meds. Optional retirement plan if you wanted to pay into it.

Equipment - You were given a company vehicle, company credit card, phone, gas card, laptop and uniform shirts, jacket and hat. They gave you most of the sealed system equipment you needed to do the job if you didn't own it before, plus paid for your refrigerants, oxyacetylene, silver solder, etc. You do have to provide your own tools. 

Discounts - You do get discounts on company products(appliances, tvs, etc, not cellphones)

Schedule - Fairly regular schedule. Calls are scheduled for you, your route is generated for you, time frames given, etc. 

Parts: Parts ordered by 3PM EST or so are usually sent out that day and sent overnight to you or the customer. This does help cut down on total repair times. 

Bad points: 

Lots of managerial bullshit - The vast majority of upper management has never been a field tech, has no experience in that sort of job, has no desire to learn anything about it, but firmly believes they know far better than you do how to do your job. 

Lack of property coverage - This one I learned the hard way as did many other techs. Back in Oct-Nov time frame of last year they sent out wonderful advertisement magnets to stick on the sides of our van advertising the new LG G2 smartphones. We were required to put these on our vehicles, making them even bigger advertisements for the company. However, this also lead to an increase in attention from the wrong types of individual. Within a few weeks of these magnets getting put on the van, several techs including me had their vans broken into and tools, equipment and parts stolen out of them. The vans they provide do not have security or anti-theft systems. The company also does not cover their vans with any insurance beyond basic accident coverage. But you won't find any of that in the literature, employee handbooks, manuals, briefings, memos, emails, etc. In fact, none of us were even aware of this until we reported the thefts and were told tough shit, go buy all your tools again. So, I was out of about $1500 worth of tools and equipment. Needless to say, none of the techs who had this happen were thrilled with the company after that point. 

Routing - You get the benefit of being routed by a computer that is guaranteed to pick what it believes to be the optimal route for you. This, by the way, does not take into account all your local knowledge of the area such as traffic patterns, road construction, street closures, bridge openings, etc. We use to be able to route ourselves, but then they put GPS trackers in all the van and figured that a computer program knew better how to drive our areas than we did. On average the computer routing needlessly added about an hour to an hour and a half of drive time every day to me. It also loved to schedule two calls for the same person at opposite ends of your route. So you could have a morning call and an afternoon call for the same person but they're not scheduled back to back so you are scheduled to do one at 10 in the morning and the other at 4 in the afternoon. 

Schedule blocks: You will be running between 7 and 10 calls a day depending on what changes upper management makes that week. At one time we were allowed to request schedule blocks for time slots for service calls that would take longer than average such as a sealed system or a tub swap on a front loader. When I left we were no longer being allowed any blocks. You had to somehow manage to run all the calls on your route in the windows given, even if they were borderline insane. In my area I had schedules that ended up going from one end of my territory to the other(1.5-2 hours depending on traffic) in the same morning. 4 morning service calls, 4 hours and about 2.5 hours of drive time. 

The Numbers: They love to apply numbers to every value they can think of. Some good, some completely pointless. You will be graded and measured on your job performance on every statistic you could conceive of for appliance and electronics repair. Your numbers are the most important thing in the world to upper management it seems. However, the numbers will be set up to work against you quite often. You are expected to maintain an average of 3.5 days RTAT(Repair Turn Around Time). RTAT starts from the minute the call comes in and is assigned to your route. The system measures it in days though. So if you get a call and finish it same day, it is 1 day of RTAT even if you fixed the unit 30 minutes after it came in. If you get a service call on a Friday morning for Tuesday morning you will end up with 5 days of RTAT before you get to the call. To me that is a no win. Actual stats that made sense were average parts usage per call, reclaim rate, etc.

Policy: You will get the joys of experiencing a new policy on a monthly, weekly, daily, and hourly basis at times. Tried and true polices that were there forever will suddenly change on a whim, new ones will come into creation only to be abandoned a week later when its shown that it didn't immediately work like they wanted. It will be replaced by a new, equally well planned policy change shortly thereafter.

Call centers: The bane of your existence. Most of LG's call centers are in the Philippines or Panama. Most of them barely speak or write English. Never trust anything on a work order. Half the time it's wrong. You're lucky if you get complete information, correct model/serial numbers, good contact phone numbers, addresses, etc. I still recall the wonderful day where I had a work order for a dishwasher that the entire service ticket read "Charles Smith Dishwasher does not clean." No city, no phone, no address, no model, etc. 

Tech Support: Some days they're good and on top of the ball, other days they're about as useful as a politician. They have ultimate authority over your repairs. I've been told to change a control board on a dishwasher six times in a row despite it obviously not solving the problem. 

Lack of power: Customers are told one thing quite often - The service tech can deem a unit unrepairable. Technically the policy is there. No other department will recognize it however. You can clearly see the problem, but you will spend an hour on the phone jumping between departments trying to find someone who will deem the unit unrepairable for you because you can't do it yourself. When it comes down to it, inside of LG you have no real power to do anything. Everyone says you do, but good luck getting anyone to listen. 

Dispatch/Office Support: LG use to have a dedicated, well trained staff of dispatchers and administrative assistants to help the field techs. Over the last year the dozen plus dispatchers were let go and replaced with four temps and a few computer programs. A lot of problems arose from this as the tech supervisors were left to pick up the slack. So now instead of many dispatchers handling the many techs you get 4 supervisors handling 100+ field techs trying to manage schedules, parts issues, customers, etc. 

Parts: The parts department can and will completely screw you up at times. But most of that everyone here has experienced everywhere. Wrong parts sent, parts damaged in shipping, defective parts, etc. There is very little accountability for their screwups though. And they love to combine multiple part orders for different customers into one shipment for cost savings, then accidentally send it Fed-Ex Freight instead of overnight. So the 2lb drain pump for a washer for a call you have to go back out to tomorrow afternoon is not showing up tomorrow morning but will be there sometime next week. Also, they love to do random 'truck stock' drops on you. All the parts are sent to you or the customer. So you get the joy of coming home to find your front porch covered in a few dozen boxes filled to the brim with parts you never ordered and about half of which you have never used or used once in a blue moon. But you have to keep it all on your inventory(not allowed to return truck stock parts) and you have to somehow fit it all into your van and keep it organized. Good luck. 

Training: Training that would help you do your job better or show you the latest stuff coming from LG and what to watch for is seldom given and when it is, it's usually months behind so when you get to it, you're usually more qualified to teach the training course than the trainer. But you will be bombarded by tons of additional computer based training that has to be completed that has nothing to do with your job(I'm looking at you cartel compliance and forklift safety courses!). Honestly, when I started with LG there was none of that nonsense and I thought I had safely left it behind when I left the military(who also love random useless computer based training courses). Oh how wrong I became...

Coworkers: Unless you're operating in a city that has multiple techs, you will probably never see another LG employee. I saw three techs the entire time I worked there outside of the ones I went through training with. One I trained and two I rode along with in different cities for training when I first started. Same goes for dispatchers, tech support, supervisors, etc. I was the only tech in my area. The next closest tech to me lived about 3 hours away. I had four or five different supervisors in the years I was there(They have a fairly high turnover rate of supervisors). I met two of them. One I met when I first started and was in Huntsville for training, the second I met when he came out here to do my out processing paperwork. The lack of co-workers can be a good thing at times and a bad thing at others. 

There's probably more pros and cons to LG(I'm sure there is), but I can't think of more right now. Again, any further questions or specific areas of interest let me know and I'll do my best to try to give as thorough an answer as I can. 

Edited by B4UTRUST, 10 April 2014 - 07:55 PM.

#9 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:17 PM

Sounds just like Sears.
Scott Wolf

#10 B4UTRUST

B4UTRUST

Yamabushi

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:50 PM

Not sure how alike or unlike Sears it is. Some of the techs for LG use to work at Sears and said it was horrible, but that LG was better. I have little to compare it to personally. Before LG I was in the military doing aircraft maintenance. I can only assume LG is just different enough and pays enough to be better than Sears. Better benefits make a lot of people happier I guess. I left and now work for a local company making about what I was with LG. Not as good of benefits but a little less bullshit.

#11 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:22 PM

B4UTRUST...

1) Welcome to the forum !

2) Thanks for your service :)

3) Fantastic write-up---on your LG employment experience. Thanks for confirming a few things for me---like the obscene indifference of management.

Management's infatuation with numbers/data---some of which is absolutely worthless---is destroying incentive to excel.

4) Very sorry to read about your equipment theft.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#12 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:22 AM

Great post, B4UTRUST.  I've never worked for Sears, except for providing service for their extended warranty customers.  And I never worked for LG, but we are authorized for warranty service.  Over the years many of us have heard horror stories about working for Sears, and it sounds like a lot of common threads between the two.

Welcome to the Forum, and I hope your present work allows you to take a breath, and enjoy the profession we all share.

#13 B4UTRUST

B4UTRUST

Yamabushi

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:41 AM

Thanks for the welcome guys. I just started last week with a local company. They sell and work on everything but LG. So it's been a whole new experience learning non LG appliances, having never worked on anything but LG before this. Hopefully I'll pick it up. Right now they've got me as hourly but will be moving me to commission next month. 40% of labor rate on every complete. They're providing truck parts calls etc. So I'm figuring depending on volume I can clear between $20 and 30 an hour.

If anyone has some good general advice I'd love to hear it. I'm sure I'll be posting enough stupid common questions soon enough. But I do have a wealth of LG knowledge I'll gladly share and when i can find my copies I'll submit all my service bulletins and manuals to the site

#14 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:52 AM

<<<They sell and work on everything but LG. So it's been a whole new experience learning non LG appliances, having never worked on anything but LG before this. Hopefully I'll pick it up>>>

I think you will---and very quickly.

It'll be intuitive---when tackling other contemporary non-LG digital appliances.

<<< I'm sure I'll be posting enough stupid common questions soon enough>>>

No such thing as a "stupid" question

<<<But I do have a wealth of LG knowledge I'll gladly share>>>

Finally! I Get some help around here !

Just kidding:)

Welcome aboard.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#15 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:27 AM

LG knowledge   Bring it on   We will eat it up with great joy & satisfaction.     John63 has been a Godsend,  now more.   Welcome to the Samurai brotherhood.   No red headed step children here.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#16 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:13 PM

I specialize in asking stupid questions, and I'm pretty good at it.  :wacko:

#17 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:00 PM

I specialize in asking stupid questions, and I'm pretty good at it.  :wacko:

I'm better than you at stupid

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#18 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:48 PM

If it's a stupid question, it gets a stupid answer??

"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

"Occam's RAZOR 'the simplest answer is most often correct'"

#19 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,088 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:22 AM

I don't know about you guys but I embrace my stupidity. Makes life easier to deal with and I can better understand appliance engineers. Welcome B4!

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 13 April 2014 - 07:23 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#20 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,088 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:30 AM

If anyone has some good general advice I'd love to hear it.

best general advice I can give you? Participate here... teaching Grasshoppers and sharing info with the brethren reinforces your own knowledge. Don't be afraid to make mistakes here. We don't try to show each other up or embarrass one another (except when tugging on your chain)

Next best advice?.... unquestionably http://appliantology...voxer/?hl=voxer

uh oh... Didn't mean to hijack Marks post..... Where do you stand now Mark, To LG or not to LG, that is the question.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 13 April 2014 - 07:41 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics