Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Crosley washer mystery leak

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cllewis.1

cllewis.1

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:40 PM

I have a Crosley CW6000W. This washer was made in 2001 and we've used it hard as our family has grown from just my wife and me to include our 3 daughters. It's always worked fine. But in the last 2 months, there've been 3 times when, on the delicate setting, the cycle has completed and there's been water on the floor and the tub is still 60-75% full of water.

Today I was fortunate enough to notice this had happened right after the cycle finished, so I quickly pulled the front off the washer to check it out. I found that it looks like the tub is being overfilled, and then running over the top edge of the tub, running down the outside of the tub, dropping into the bottom of the cabinet, and leaking out the holes at the bottom of the cabinet onto the floor. Based upon this, my hypothesis is that the washer is overfilling with water, so that when the spin cycle starts, the water sloshes over the edge...further, on the delicate cycle the spin doesn't run as long, so an overfilled tub doesn't drain all the way. It's interesting this issue has never been observed on the permanent press or regular cycles (and we use cloth diapers, so we run this machine a lot!)

I've marked up a photo I took to illustrate exactly where the water appears to be escaping from the tub. I am wondering if there's a seal in that plastic ring that snaps around the top of the tub, and if that might be part of my problem. Note that leaked water is conspicuously absent around the bottom of the tub, the bearing area, the pump, etc. It really seems to be coming from the top.
image.jpg

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:24 PM

I am wondering if there's a seal in that plastic ring that snaps around the top of the tub, and if that might be part of my problem. Note that leaked water is conspicuously absent around the bottom of the tub, the bearing area, the pump, etc. It really seems to be coming from the top.

I would dismiss this thought and trace other sources.  Such as your water being overfilled.  It's possible you have a bad water valve.  Try to get it to act up, by starting the fill cycle and unplugging the machine while filling.  If it continues to fill... bingo, new water valve is needed.  Do this a few times.  Lets us know if you get anywhere with this test.

Thanks

MicaBay

Edited by micabay, 24 March 2014 - 09:25 PM.

#3 cllewis.1

cllewis.1

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:41 PM

Thanks! I tried as you suggested as the washer is filling for a wash cycle at this time. It's filling with hot water but I also tested using cold and warm. I found that I could hear the hum of the solenoids stop as soon as I unplugged the machine, and within a second or so the water stopped. I'll try again when it's filling for the rinse to see if anything different happens, but at first blush, the water valves are stopping as soon as power to them is cut.

#4 cllewis.1

cllewis.1

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:12 PM

Tested further while it was filling for rinse, and found the valves consistently closed within just a second of power being cut.

What other areas should we be examining? Is it possible the devices that senses when the tub is full is working intermittently?

#5 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet Pepsi

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:36 PM

If the washer is slow draining, because of something restricting water flow in the pump or the hose or if the belt is slipping on the drain pump pulley, the washer can spin water over the side of the tub. This will happen if the tub is getting up to speed too quickly before all the water is out.

It can also happen if the water is draining properly but the tub is spinning too quickly. There is a clutch in the transmission designed to slip so the tub doesn't get up to speed too fast and while I've never seen one fail like that, they usually slip too much and not spin fast enough, I suppose it could be possible.

Another possibility causing slow draining is if the belt is not being tensioned properly when it spins. If its too loose it may not be spinning the drain pump fast enough or not running the pump at all whenit spins. The motor mounts on slides so it can move back and fourth when it agitates or spins and if the slides get sticky the motor can get stuck. With these washers I'll lift the motor off the slides and wipe them down so they are clean and even put a very small ammount of grease on them so it can move freeley.  If you do that, don't use too much grease, just a very light film.

Edited by -Mike-, 24 March 2014 - 11:36 PM.

#6 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:37 AM

It sound to me like you will find that the second theory suggested by Mike is your problem, (a somewhat common problem on these machines).

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#7 cllewis.1

cllewis.1

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:30 AM

Thanks. It's peculiar that it only seems to happen on the delicate cycle. It looks to me like on the delicate spin it actually takes longer for the basket to get up to speed.

I have observed the machine running with the front off and can confirm the motor does move a fair amount when it switches from agitating to drain/spin.

What do you think? Lube the slides first, then check to see if it happens again, if so, replace the belt? If trouble continues look for issues in the transmission?

#8 cllewis.1

cllewis.1

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:46 PM

Thanks again for the advice. I pulled the motor off its platform and sparingly greased the slides (my wife chuckles whenever I say I lubed the slides...don't really know what to think of that). The motor definitely moves more freely and easily on its slides now than it did previously. We shall see if this works.

If the issue recurs, do you think I should replace the belt? Or something else?

#9 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:00 PM

Part number: 21352320

Part number: 21352320

Check to see that this unit has the right belt on it.  If somebody used an automotive V-belt  or the belt for the Atlantis platform washers, the wash basket might spin at the wrong speed causing water to be splashed out of the tub during pump out/spin.

Scott Wolf

#10 cllewis.1

cllewis.1

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:20 PM

Thanks. The belt that's on it is the factory original.

#11 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:43 AM

could be a partialy restricted drain hose or pump, because this is happening only on the delicate cycle which has a slower spin which means a slower pump as well

#12 cllewis.1

cllewis.1

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for bringing that up. Because of my home being nearly 50 years old, the stand pipe is only 1.5" diameter. Starting a few years ago I began having occasional problems water backing up the standpipe and running over the top of it while the washer was draining. Not having the funds to re plumb the stand pipe, after a variety of attempts to clear the drain line, I read of folks who found that if they extended their stand pipe just slightly, this slowed the flow of water enough to alleviate their problems. I extended my stand pipe just a bit more than 1 foot, and all my overrun problems resolved. It was several weeks later that this mystery leak began...but I have read any number of people who have had no issues after slightly restricting the flow out of their washer, whether it be by extending their stand pipe, or installing a reducer fitting at the outlet of their drain hose, or installing a washer at the outlet of their washer...I didn't expect it would create a flow problem from my pump...especially when you figure I haven't reduced the flow by reducing the diameter of the hose but rather just by causing the water to have to go uphill a little more before it goes into the standpipe. Could that really cause a leak like I am experiencing?

#13 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:12 PM

I would say yes that is possible.  Get yourself a snake and run it down the drain pipe.  Although it is strange that you are only having the problem on delicate.  It does however sound like it is drain related, check for a restriction in the pump hose. 

Doc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics