Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

dryer not heating correctly

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tommyg

tommyg

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Jim Beam

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:55 AM

good day ,

I have a Kenmore dryer 66702692 . it is not heating like it should . takes forever to dry clothes .. I just picked this up used 2 days ago . the vent is free and clear . ok here is the deal , it blows warm air sometimes not hot air ..if I open the door and hold the switch I can see the element turn on for about 20 seconds then off . and it keeps doing this , when the door is shut and clothes in side, not many I might add it hardly gets warm . I have a strong flow outside ( at the discharge ) Luke warm damp air .

if I put my hand on the back of the dryer in the location of the element . it is a little warm but not much ( you can hold your hand on there and never worry about getting burned .. so my guess is the element .. but if it does warm up a bit and then shut off  could it be something else ..

many thanks for your help

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 fairbank56

fairbank56

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:22 PM

Take the heater coil out and inspect it. May have a break in it that opens/closes intermittently. Resistance across terminals should be 7.8-11.8 ohms and open (infinity) from terminals to metal case. Other possibility is a faulty operating thermostat or hi limit thermostat.

Eric

Part number: AP3094254

Part number: AP3094254

Part number: AP3131939

Part number: AP3131939

Part number: AP3131941

Part number: AP3131941

Edited by fairbank56, 25 March 2014 - 12:46 PM.

#3 tommyg

tommyg

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:32 PM

I will try that this afternoon , thank you very much for taking the time to help me out ,

#4 fairbank56

fairbank56

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:52 PM

You can use your multimeter to determine if heating element is being cycled on/off by one of the thermostats by placing meter probes across red/white wire of operating thermostat (on blower housing) and hi limit thermostat terminal that connects directly to heater element terminal. When heater is on, voltage should be zero. when heat cuts off, if one of the thermostats has opened, you will get 240vac. Then check across each thermostat to determine which one is cycling.

Eric

#5 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:57 PM

you could just check for 220 at the heater while it is running.  If it gets 220  but goes off and on, then its a bad heater.

Doc

#6 tommyg

tommyg

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:00 AM

heater fixed the problem , many thanks to everyone's help in this matter...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics