Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LLOOOONNGG vent pipe cleaning advice

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RedToryTy

RedToryTy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Guinness Stout

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:14 PM

To the Dojo,

A longtime customer called, wanting her 20-foot-plus dryer vent pipe (buried in the floor) cleaned.

Advice? Successful technique? I figured getting this product (http://www.amazon.co...20' dryer brush).

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Red

Mr. Tyrus Lee Smith
Owner-Operator, Smith's Appliance Service
701 Baldwin Falls Road
Baldwin, Georgia 30511-2108
706-778-3411

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Strathy

Strathy

Senpai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coffee

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

I have a 4" brush that attaches to my drill via flexible fiberglass poles. It works fine until I have to go through a couple of 90 deg turns. Your link looks like a better option as long as you have a compressor to attach it to.
Neighbour's Appliance Service
Servicing Southern Manitoba, Canada

#3 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:53 PM

We use the Lint Eater that can be purchased at most any Lowe's  http://www.lowes.com...ge=1&facetInfo=

Also, we used Chimney cleaning rods (harder stiffer and bigger) attached between the drill and Lint Eater, with custom made connector, for the straight portion of the dryer run.  The down fall, you can't go around any bends with them.  Also, you risk breaking off the Lint Eater portion by pushing against a 90 degree turn...

http://www.lowes.com...=3126461&rpp=32

Most cleaning events are done within 15-30 mins.  We don't do just dryer vents.  Must have us out working on the dryer first.  That way we get to pick and choose which vents get attention, from us.

Edited by micabay, 25 March 2014 - 07:55 PM.

#4 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:57 PM

Another thing, the dryer is running on air fluff while cleaning.  Get yourself a good reusable dust mask.  It'll save you from hacking up while making out the bill!

#5 -Mike-

-Mike-

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:diet Pepsi

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:38 AM

I also use the Lint Eater brush. However long the vent system is I'll just keep adding rods on untill I get all the way through it.

#6 bayouboy

bayouboy

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Abita Beer Purple Haze

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:56 AM

I also use the lint eater, if there is a lot of lint in the pipe I will use 3 sticks (9 feet) at a time then remove that section of the clog so your brush wont bog down and then go in with 3 more etc. until you get it all clean. I also use an electric leaf blower when done from behind the dryer to make sure its all out. (But watch out if you do, I have blown off roof jacks and had to get up on the roof to reattach.)

#7 dave316

dave316

Samanera

• Professional Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:jack and coke

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:40 AM

I've used a leaf blower with a a 4 to 2 vent adaptor taped up to it and hook it to vent and crank it to blast ur panties off mode gets the pipes clean
And lint eater after. Then another blaster. Ought be clean by then

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics