Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

MVWX700XW1 Maytag. Not enough water

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Garpy

Garpy

Ikkō-ikki

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coffee

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:17 PM

This is the first of these I've had in my shop. It has no error codes, runs nice a quiet BUT it just doesn't fill enough. I've read that some customers say these washers appear to not have very much water but the one I have is REALLY low. That can't be right! I'm asking if this may be normal for these machines or is it a problem and is it a fixable problem?

A regular laundry basket sized load is left probably 2/3 above the water level during the wash cycle. (after the machine senses how much water the load needs) The clothes just seem to get all twisted rather than washing and the tops layer of clothes are left not really being washed at all. Other brands but similar machines I've had seem to fill to a level of a couple inches of water above the clothes while this machine only fills to aprox a few inches of water in total.

Anyone familier with these?

Edited by Garpy, 25 March 2014 - 03:19 PM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:31 PM

what cycle are you running it on? if its the normal cycle that is what the energy star tests are done on.  try a different cycle like heavy duty or casual.  on normal cycle with no clothes in the drum it will normaly fill with only a few inches of water

#3 Garpy

Garpy

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:50 PM

what cycle are you running it on? if its the normal cycle that is what the energy star tests are done on.  try a different cycle like heavy duty or casual.  on normal cycle with no clothes in the drum it will normaly fill with only a few inches of water

Hi. I will try a couple different cycles in the morning and get back. My original test was on Normal WITH a load of laundry so I could see how well the water level sensor worked. I assumed it would at least just barely cover the clothes. As is there simply is not enough water to actually wash with. I believe (quick estimate) that it's probably only about 2" of water int the tub With the full load of clothes.

#4 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:20 PM

sounds about right on the normal cycle

#5 micabay

micabay

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:45 PM

Take a few pictures for show and tell.  Also, try recalibrating the machine.  Have you tried unplugging it.  (ok ok that last one was a joke... :-)

#6 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Oberon

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:31 AM

Saving the planet one load at a time!  Welcome to VMW-land!

#7 Garpy

Garpy

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

Ok, Re-ran it this morning. I spun the water out of the clothes in a different washer then put the load back into this Maytag. I spun the clothes out first to try to have the sensor not think it was a much larger load. I'm sure though that it still sensed it as a little bigger load that it is due to the weight of slightly wet clothes.

Here are two pics I took. One shows it paused mid cycle. The other shows with a tape measure just how low the level is. About 5" lower than the clothes. P.S. Sorry about the size of the images. I haven't yet figured out how to upload here.

4ys7.jpg

xni0.jpg

#8 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:07 PM

is that on the Normal cycle?, looks about average, most people that have these washers find better washing results on other cycles besides normal

#9 Garpy

Garpy

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:17 AM

is that on the Normal cycle?, looks about average, most people that have these washers find better washing results on other cycles besides normal

Yes, That's on the normal cycle. As this is the clothes re-loaded you don't see all the soap that was left on top of the clothes after washing on normal. Anyway, I'm glad to know at least that this is to be expected with these machines. They simply don't do a good wash on normal. It did do much better using the "Bulky" load setting.

Thanks all who were involved in helping out on this.

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,836 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:21 AM

As this is the clothes re-loaded you don't see all the soap that was left on top of the clothes after washing on normal. 

An indication that they're using either too much or the wrong type of detergent.  Should be using no more than 2 tablespoons of HE detergent.  

#11 Garpy

Garpy

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:28 AM

An indication that they're using either too much or the wrong type of detergent.  Should be using no more than 2 tablespoons of HE detergent.  

Hi

LOL. That's my testing in my shop. I used just over 1 1/2 tbs of Tide HE soap "powder" It works great otherwise. I'm just going to go with recomendation to customers to not expect great results from the "normal" cycle. What I have to decide now is whether I want to clean this machine up for resale or scrap it for parts. Damb morality Lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics