Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

steveklein

GE fridge TBX22ZABLRWW makes loud clunk-clunk when compressor shuts off

6 posts in this topic

Ours is a freezer-on-top model, and seems to be working fine, but…

I've noticed lately that whenever the compressor cycles off, it makes two loud thunks.

I don't know how long this has been going on, but I know it didn't used to do that.

I checked the fridge FAQ, but didn't find anything relevant. And the troubleshooting flowchart starts with "warm fridge," which isn't a problem.

I'm a do-it-yourselfer, but I'm guessing compressor replacement isn't something I can tackle on my own. How much would I likely pay (parts and labor) to get this fixed?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Broken motor mount inside compressor...only permanent fix is to replace compressor..I have seen units go for years like this.

Concur with Brother Kurtius.  Unit can run and cool indefinitely.  Eventually the motor winding may short, causing the circuit breaker to trip.  Once this occurs, it's new compressor (or refrigerator) time.

and the noise will get worse over time

I'm a do-it-yourselfer, but I'm guessing compressor replacement isn't something I can tackle on my own. How much would I likely pay (parts and labor) to get this fixed?

objectively.....Waaay more than your fridge is worth.

Edited by DurhamAppliance

Broken motor mount inside compressor...only permanent fix is to replace compressor..I have seen units go for years like this.

I sure hope mine is one of those that goes for years!

objectively.....Waaay more than your fridge is worth.

Thanks for answering the question I probably should have asked!