Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Replacing control panel on Hotpoint range

range kitchen heating element

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Bill in Kansas City

Bill in Kansas City

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:iced tea, espresso

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:48 PM

Hotpoint RB787WB1WW electric range

Part ordered: WB27X10311

The wiring layout for the new part doesn't match the wiring for the existing part, but everywhere I've researched says this is the part I need, and even the instructions say the wires might not match. Can someone help me out with what wires go where?

A picture of the existing part: https://www.dropbox....6o/IMAG0233.jpg

A picture of the new part: https://www.dropbox....ock-Control.jpg

Thanks!

- Bill

Measure with a micrometer.

Mark with a crayon.

Cut with an ax.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Bill in Kansas City

Bill in Kansas City

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:08 PM

Better picture of the new part: https://www.dropbox....n2/IMAG0236.jpg

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:25 PM

Post a nice, big picture of your range schematic diagram.

#4 LLAMBERT

LLAMBERT

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Stone Ruination IPA

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:05 PM

Yeah a wiring diagram is needed. The yellow and blue are most likely the relays to the bake and broil. trial by error gets expensive sometimes on a board like this.

Why? I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone. Now they got the whole country sectioned off, you can't make a move without a form

#5 Bill in Kansas City

Bill in Kansas City

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:35 PM

And where would I go about getting a nice big picture of the schematic? Best I've got is nice big pictures of the boards. (Kinda new at this...)

#6 Bill in Kansas City

Bill in Kansas City

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:25 AM

Let me refine my question: do you need a proper electrical schematic, or would a "this wire goes to the lower element" with arrows sort of thing do?

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,190 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:50 AM

There should be a tech sheet cleverly hidden in the range.  Sometimes it's in a pouch taped to the back panel, sometimes in a pouch hidden in the pots drawer.  If you find an empty pouch, then you know the last guy that worked on it stole it. 

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,190 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:06 AM

Did this kit come with any jumper wires?

#9 Bill in Kansas City

Bill in Kansas City

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:28 AM

No jumper wires, though the instructions call for at least one. Not sure about the pouch, but I doubt it. We got the stove second hand to begin with. Not at home, but wanted to reply anyway and keep the thread alive until I can check all this.

There are two differences between the boards that I can see:

1. new board separates the broiler and bake wires (upper and lower elements, I presume; the instructions call for yellow and purple); the old board just has a yellow wire.

2. new board calls for a black hot wire, white ground wire; old board has the white, but no black, red yes, black no.

The blue wire on the old board I'm not sure about and I'm not home to pop the back and check.

The new board does come with instructions that shows what wires go where, but the colors don't match what's there.

Will check all this when I get home and post an update. Thanks for the time so far! I remain hopeful.

#10 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:29 AM

I will go out on a limb here....... The red wire  on the original board will go to the terminal just left of the yellow sticker..( Purple dot relay )  ..A jumper wire will go from the top terminal , purple dot relay, to the  terminal on the yellow dot relay ..Terminal above the "R" on the 'DANGER' sticker......Follow the BLUE and the YELLOW wires, they probably go to the  elements ........... 'bake' ( purple dot ) and the 'broil' ( yellow dot )  ...............Those will go to the terminal above the color dots.............Terminal for the 'white neutral wire's'  appears to be located below the "Purple Dot" relay............Looked at the part on R/C and no jumper wire is indicated in the picture......( jumper from old part??)............ What does the instructions indicate for the wire locations, possibly  post the instructions   :thumbsup:   .........For the correct wire connections, we will need a wire schematic....... :rocker: ..............

#11 Bill in Kansas City

Bill in Kansas City

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:07 PM

No official Hotpoint schematic. I can't even find a manual online for the model.

HOWEVER.

I traced all the wires and drew up what's going on, and annotated the photo of the new part according to the instructions. I THINK I've got it figured out, but some confirmation would be appreciated. What threw me was the lack of a black power lead on the existing controller: that function was handled on the red side.

The existing wiring: https://www.dropbox....oint_wiring.png

The new part (annotated): https://www.dropbox....t-annotated.jpg

The instructions that came with it: https://www.dropbox....nstructions.jpg

#12 Bill in Kansas City

Bill in Kansas City

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:13 PM

...and there's no jumper on the old unit; it has fewer connection points than the new one. Sensei, I think you've got the right answer.

#13 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:57 PM

Is this itAttached File  RB787WB.jpg   50.91KB   0 downloads?

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

#14 Bill in Kansas City

Bill in Kansas City

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:45 PM

Permission denied. Can't download or view...

#15 Bill in Kansas City

Bill in Kansas City

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:58 AM

Sensei, you were right. Couldn't sleep and I was up early this morning, so before I could over-think it I made sure my tracing of the wires was correct and hooked them up, taking your post as encouragement. It all went together and as I'm typing, I'm breakfasting on a blueberry muffin from a working oven.

Thanks all for taking the time!

#16 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,190 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:45 AM

Permission denied. Can't download or view...

You'll need to upgrade your membership to download attachments and files:  Memberships

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: range, kitchen, heating element

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics