Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore 417 laundry center nightmare.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,986 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:44 AM

Well what a nightmare service call. Took 4 trips to fix this thing.

Original complaint, timer never shuts off. Will run all night long. Everything else works perfect.

Replaced bad timer. Then I found an odd humming sound coming from the timer while in the off position. Original timer did not do this. I tested the timer and it did shut off like it was supposed to. So I let it ride. (Should have known better)

After a few voxes and some wise information. I went back into the house and turned the dryer to air fluff and sure enough it heated. Shorted element.

So I pulled the dryer back apart (different trip) and found the element had been changed before and whatever monkey changed it decided the insulator he broke wasn't important. The element had sagged down and shorted against the case of the element (which also blew the thermal fuse while I was testing).

Finally got the fuse and element replaced. Took a while to dig the years of lint out of this machine. Then I tested the unit to make sure the exhaust temp was okay. Guess what? Dryer overheated. Had to change the cycling thermostat too! Also found their vent was coupled to 3 inch behind the dryer.

So much wrong with one dryer. This thing was a nightmare. Also dealing with tenant that were pissed off telling me they have been without a dryer for weeks. Not my fault the landlord waited to call us for a week and a half.

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,953 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:08 AM

Have a beer on me dude, you need it!   This is one of those occasions when a part changing monkey would have repaired the dryer in less time and no call backs! lol 

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 03 April 2014 - 11:08 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:56 AM

Yep.  Frigidaire stack.  Tenant situation.  Probably in a small laundry room, wedged between the water heater and a wall.  It's gonna take at least two brews to wash down the inhaled lint and pubic hair dust.........Wait a minute.......I think I hear the transmission bearing starting to squeal. 

#4 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:21 PM

Pduff... You nailed it man. Wedged between the wall and water heater.

#5 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:20 AM

Another one of my favorites, a washer and dryer stuck in between a bathtub and a toilet or  a cat litter box right next to a washer and dryer.

Scott Wolf

#6 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,953 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:01 AM

Don't forget about the three-foot long water hoses and the two-foot long drain hose secured to them.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#7 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:54 PM

Did the landlord tell you he could buy a new one for the under charged bill you gave Him?

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#8 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:38 AM

She was actually happy I fixed it for $470. That's rare. Usually they are crying the whole time they are righting the check on a high repair like that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics