Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

refrigerator GI5SVAXVL00 Ice maker works, ice and water dispensers do not

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 pops1986

pops1986

Samanera

• Professional Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:iced tea

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:14 PM

Need help from someone that has been there and done that.  As I said, the ice maker works, but the dispensers do not.  They do work in service mode.  The dispenser circuit board is good.  It appears the freezer and fridge sides work normally.  Could the mother circuit board be bad?  If it were a broken wire or bad connection then it should not work in service mode.

Any help appreciated! 

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,729 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:17 PM

double check your model number please. There may be another "v" after the "x"

btw, how did you determine the dispenser circuit board is good?

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 pops1986

pops1986

Samanera

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:50 PM

You are right sir, there is a "v" after the "x."  I had another known good board and tried it.  It made no difference.  The freezer liner door switch turned the light off and on, but, I will ohm it out when I go back.  Thanks

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,185 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:16 PM

Model number in topic title edited.

In test mode, the main board is controlling the dispenser directly.  Out of test mode, the dispenser board must talk to the main board to do dispensary things like dispense ice or water.  The fact that the dispenser function works in test mode means that: 1) the muthaboard and involved peripherals (water inlet valve in this case) are good.  The fact that is does not dispense in customer mode and that you've replaced the dispenser board already means that the overlay membrane switch is bad, probably a worn-through dispenser button.  

Part number: AP4366548

Part number: AP4366548

Part number: AP4700560

Part number: AP4700560

#5 pops1986

pops1986

Samanera

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:31 PM

Oh Great One!  The overlay panel does not "look" bad, but beauty is only skin deep indeed.  Thanks for this meaningful insight! 

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,185 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:50 PM

You can't tell if it's bad by inspection.  The membrane is sandwiched in the overlay.  IF it's bad (and I stress IF) then you can only tell by using your meter.  One method is to check for open/close change when switch is actuated (pressed).  But since they don't give a pinout matrix for this overlay, you can't do this easily.  A better test would be a live test where you check for a DC voltage change at J1-4 wrt DC GND (J1-1).  From the tech sheet, it looks like +12 VDC is standing at J1-4 all the time (sent from muthaboard) and the switch signals it wants water by grounding out that +12 VDC signal. So you would look for the +12 VDC at J1-4 to go away when  you press the dispenser button.  

Maybe not, but that's the way it looks to me.  Let's just say, that's how I would troubleshoot it if I was on the call.

#7 pops1986

pops1986

Samanera

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:47 PM

A followup on my dispenser problem. At the suggestion of testing the dispenser board/touch pad at J1. I did, and just to save some time I tried a known good touchpad. Made no difference. In poring over the schematic, I notice J1-3, 12v, also running up to the "ice fan." I do not claim to be the brightest bulb in interpreting the flow of schematics, so some one try to clue me in. While I was there, I rechecked the continuity of the freezer door switch, dispenser micro switch, checked for 12v at the motherboard, continuity to the connector at the top of the door hinge. !2v seems to be getting to the touchpad, the lights work, buttons work etc. I guess my bottom line question is, could the ice fan be the problem, as I have not looked in that direction at all.

#8 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,729 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:13 PM

check the actuator to make sure it is activating the microswitch.  Try activating the microswitch manually if possible,  while the chute assembly is connected. 

#9 pops1986

pops1986

Samanera

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:20 PM

Great thought sir, I checked the microswitch removed and with the actuator. It gave me continuity both ways. The actuator is working correctly.
I also checked the code. It was correct.

#10 pops1986

pops1986

Samanera

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:24 PM

Again, in poring over the schematic, I do not remeber the cavity LED's burning.

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,185 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:27 PM

It just doesn't make sense that the ice and water dispenser work in test mode but not normal mode.  I would be looking at what's different between those two modes in terms of how the dispenser functions are actuated.  The touchpad was an obvious one but there must be something else.

#12 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,729 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:30 AM

Ok, now I have a schematic in front of me.. looks like there are two microswitches in the chute assembly.. a door motor switch (normally closed and is a different switch from the freezer door/light switch... ) and a main actuator switch (normally open) did you test them both and did continuity change when you pressed the button? Change of continuity status is more important than having continuity if you are unsure of the normal position.

I wonder if that door motor switch, which I assume is the ice chute door motor, is open, would it prevent dispenser functions but overridden when diagnostic tests are performed? At least that is something to check

What diagnostic tests did you perform and tell us your procedure and the results?

Here is the tech sheet for those willing to sing along with us and maybe perform a lead solo or two http://appliantology...and-parts-list/

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 13 April 2014 - 06:47 AM.

#13 pops1986

pops1986

Samanera

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:08 PM

The Ice/Water lockout feature on this refrigerator may be the problem. Looking at the schematic, I do not see how this feature works. I understand what it does for the consumer, but not what actually happens to kill the water and ice dispensers when the button is pushed. Thx for your insight!

#14 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:41 PM

It just doesn't make sense that the ice and water dispenser work in test mode but not normal mode.  I would be looking at what's different between those two modes in terms of how the dispenser functions are actuated.  The touchpad was an obvious one but there must be something else.

I've had a few Frigidaire refrigerators work in test mode, but not in normal mode. Because they were all under first year warranty I replaced all the boards and it solved the problem.
Scott Wolf

#15 pops1986

pops1986

Samanera

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:48 AM

Interesting post Scott, if that has indeed worked on refrigerators you have encountered, then it may be the only course of action. This particular model is not under warranty. I would like to know if the dispenser lock mechanism in internal to the motherboard so I could rule it out.

#16 Vets Appliance

Vets Appliance

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Caffeine

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:41 AM

Color me dimwitted here but please explain to me as if I were 5 years old... I need to know exactly what you mean by "they work in service mode":

• Are you inputting a code that causes them trigger instead of using a glass in the dispenser?
  • Are you putting it in service mode and then shoving a glass in the dispenser like you would normally?
  • Do all functions fail normally but work in service mode? Water, cubed and crushed and door flapper?

Edited by Vets Appliance, 14 April 2014 - 08:50 AM.

Me: "Why are my customers always so happy to see me arrive but then say they hope to not see me again anytime soon?"
Joe Customer: "Because we have to pay you to leave."

#17 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:13 AM

I read above that there are no other symptoms, cooling, icemaker, or otherwise.  And since you can successfully access the diagnostic test mode, the control lock appears to be disengaged.  Barring no problems with the display, then the high voltage board is ok.  Or is it?  Also check the door switch for proper actuation.

#18 pops1986

pops1986

Samanera

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

I removed the freezer liner door switch and checked continuity. It works correctly as the switch is opened and closed. Concerning the motherboard (high voltage board), it has 12v feeding the low voltage board, and has no obvious visual problems. I believe I will bite the bullet and swap the hi voltage board out. I will let the forum know soon.

#19 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,729 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:35 AM

Vets, I asked the same question but received no response regarding dispenser tests as well as the second microswitch which controls the flapper. Although I am unsure if that second microswitch is easily accessible or simply a part of the ice chute door module. Hopefully the board replacement will solve the problem.

#20 pops1986

pops1986

Samanera

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:02 AM

Vet's and Durham, have not had the opportunity to get back over there: in normal mode no ice or water is dispensed, I hear the door flapper closing when the power is cycled (off/on). In service mode, it will dispense ice and water using a glass to make the switch. Concerning micro switches, the main switch or/wh, has and changes continuity, the actuator works correctly, the door motor, yl/wh, since I hear it closing, have not physically checked. Hope this clears up some of your questios, Thx gentlemen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics