Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore model 143.6806800 Oven Control

Kenmore oven oven control oven thermostat kenmore oven thermostat part

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 cajunbanker

cajunbanker

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:bourbon

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:49 PM

I have restored a Kenmore stove, model #143.6806800, but the thermostat broke from the lead wire. I need to find a replacement part. I understand the part number to be #5164 but is no longer available. Where can I look for a replacement thermostat, control knob, etc? I have pictures but not sure how to attach them.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 06 April 2014 - 03:16 PM.
model number added to topic title

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dechutes brewing co. Red Chair

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:12 PM

Post the link from a 3rd party picture sharing site like photobucket.

#3 Econo Appliance

Econo Appliance

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:15 PM

I've never seen a 143 Kenmore - made by "Monarch / Simpson" . Must be a nice one.

Kenmore never made thermostats, so chances are it is a robert shaw or harper wyman. Are there any numbers on the thermostat itself?

Econo Appliance Service, Inc. - San Diego appliance repair since 1984

#4 cajunbanker

cajunbanker

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:01 PM

This is a very old model probably built in the 60's.  It belonged to my in-laws and since my wife loved it and it would go with the decor of her kitchen, I refinished it.  I had an appliance person inspect everything before starting to make sure it all worked, which it did for a while until this part broke.  I wish I knew how to attach pictures to this post to show what I am talking about.  Any idea of where I might find something so we can use the oven?

#5 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:53 PM

Open a photobucket account. Upload the photos to photobucket, then post the links here.

#6 cajunbanker

cajunbanker

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:46 PM

SearsStoveOven1_zps82a65fc2.jpgSearsStoveOven2_zps888b8f72.jpgIMG_1279_zps49b0cf57.jpg

#7 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:23 PM

Can you post a pic of the wire connections on the thermostat?

And by the way... That thing is awesome! Great job on the restoration.

#8 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:25 AM

More pictures of the rear of the gas valve.................There are generic replacements available............Need to know if the lines ( in/out)  are "horizontal", lines attach at the rear  or "vertical", lines attach at the top..............................................Any numbers stamped into the case of your gas valve??????.........................

#9 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:06 AM

That is a cool unit, Cajun.  Also post the length of the thermocouple or cap tube.

#10 cajunbanker

cajunbanker

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:21 PM

This may be a lengthy post.  I have more pics of the valve and the following was printed on the back of the valve:

Harper-Wyman Co.

Hinsdale, IL

The following was printed underneath the valve. (sorry if a number is not right but was reading this upside down and backwards)

4A     B

9A  2CAV  042021

The first pic is a close up of the back of the valve.  There are two red wires and another wire (not sure if its black or white).  The top red wire goes to an indicator light.  The second red wire goes to a timer.  The other wire goes to the second picture.

photo7_zpsd621f2f3.jpg

photo4_zpsd9a2a79c.jpg

The length of the thermocouple is 9".  Any suggestions would be a big help so my wife can use the oven again.

#11 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,511 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:04 AM

This unit doesn't use a gas oven t-tstat, this is an electrically operated 120 volt t-stat that sends the 120 volts to a flame switch, (the second picture).  If the pilot goes out the flame switch won't be heated and it stops voltage from going to the 120 volt operated gas valve, (both the bake and the broil burners are separate and each have there own 120 volt flame switch and gas valve).

Do one of the switches on the control panel select rather you have bake/broil or do you have a broil position on the oven t-stat?  If you only have the three wires on the back of the t-stat then there should be a selector switch for bake/broil I would think. The red wire from the timer/clock is feeding the 120 volts to the oven t-stat, when you turn the t-stat on the 120 volts goes out the top red wire to the oven indicator on light and out the white wire to the flame switch or to a selector switch for bake or broil.

If you have wiring diagram for the unit please post that, it will help greatly.

There are many universal electrically controlled gas oven t-stats that should be able to work in this application, most will have an extra long break-off shaft and many different mounting plates to fit many applications.  The cap tube, (the long thin tube that goes to the sensor bulb - which I believe is what you are saying and showing broke off), will usually be 68"-72" long on the universal t-stat's which should be plenty long for any application.

The numbers you posted from the oven t-stat look like amperage ratings of the different switch contacts in the t-stat and possibly the 7045,(I think the 7045 is a date code 45th week 1970) or 042021 are the original Harper-Wyman part numbers but don't look familiar to me and can't find anything on Google with those numbers.

You need to carefully mark all the wires going to the oven t-stat then remove the complete oven t-stat from the range and take some good pictures of the complete t-stat including any/all markings and all terminals.  That along with a wiring diagram someone should be able to figure out a replacement for you.

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair, 08 April 2014 - 08:14 AM.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#12 cajunbanker

cajunbanker

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:22 PM

Thank you.  You have provided the best explanation thus far and helps me to understand how it works.  You clearly have a lot of knowledge so please forgive my simple mind but the thermocouple lead (the broken part in the oven) connects to the back of the control knob (I assume that is what you are calling the t-stat) in a way that appears to simply screw on.  Is this not a part that can be replaced without removing the whole t-stat? Doesn't this part tell the t-stat the temperature inside the oven to regulate the heat/flame?  Again forgive my lack of knowledge and simple thought process.

#13 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,511 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:36 AM

The thin metal tube coming off the back of the oven t-stat is called a capillary tube, (it is a very thin copper tube), then you have the actual sensor bulb on the end of the capillary tube, (the part that I think you are saying broke off - you seem to be holding it up to where it broke off in the picture and I'm really having a hard time seeing if that is what is really being shown in that picture).

The sensor bulb and capillary tube has a fluid in it that expands/contracts when heated/cooled which actuates a small metal bellows that is inside the body of the t-stat.  This movement opens/closes the cycling contact points in the t-stat.

I know it looks like the capillary tube and sensor just screws to the back of the t-stat, but it's not that simple.  Remove it and it takes the calibration completely out and also no where that I know of to purchase a new capillary tube and sensor bulb assembly, (there is somewhere to get them and replace them as there are companies that refurbish old range - gas and electric t-stats).

Yes, the part behind the control/oven temp knob is the oven thermostat, (t-stat means same thing - just shorter to type).

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#14 cajunbanker

cajunbanker

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

So I guess my project for the weekend is to remove the t-stat and take pictures.  Again, thanks for the explanation and will be in touch.

#15 cajunbanker

cajunbanker

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:38 PM

I could not wait so I took it out.  I believe I did have a few of the numbers wrong but now you have a true picture of them.  There are 4 wires going to the back of the t-stat and the positions they attached.

1. red wire going to timer

2. red wire going to indicator light

4. black wire going to flame switch

5. white wire going to back of stove - would need to take back of stove off to trace where this wire goes.  You can probably make a good educated guess.

The pics are as follows.  I have more if needed.

1. Front view

2. Left side view

3. Right side view

4. Bottom view

5 Back view

frontview1_zps4dd5d6fa.jpg

sideviewleft_zpsb92eed82.jpg

sideviewright_zps5ee63206.jpg

bottomview1_zps2d8c2dd8.jpg

backview2_zpsb12bfdb6.jpg

#16 cajunbanker

cajunbanker

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted Today, 07:03 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can find a t-stat to replace this one?  It would be nice to find one just like it but if it only has two wires to control the temperature, that will be fine too.  I am eager to use my stove again.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics