Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

How to test ERC on Kenmore 790.9611 oven

ERC Kenmore 790.9611 oven

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Helene

Helene

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:21 AM

Sincere apologies if this has been answered before.  An hour of searching has not turned up the answer, so if it's here, not only am I ignorant of how to repair, I am ignorant of how to search.  Entirely possible.

Anyway, I have a Kenmore stove/oven, model 790.9611.  One burner stopped heating, no big deal, there are 3 others.  However, a few weeks later the oven stopped heating as well.  Neither element works.  I suspect the ERC is bad but would like to check.  Or with that information can I conclude with certainty it is the ERC?

Thanks much,

Helene

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 LI-NY Tech

LI-NY Tech

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Virgil's Cream Soda

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:49 PM

Can you please post the complete model number?  

- David
- RD Appliance Service, Corp.
http://www.rdapplianceservice.com

#3 Helene

Helene

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:55 PM

Sorry.  Defective cut and paste job. 790.96112406

thx

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,632 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

Oven problem could be something as simple as a bad element Part number: AP4365778

Part number: AP4365778

#5 Helene

Helene

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:26 PM

Would it be likely that a burner on the stove and the broiler element and the lower heating element would all fail at once?  If so, I'll test each individually.  

#6 LI-NY Tech

LI-NY Tech

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Virgil's Cream Soda

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:35 PM

The burner is not controlled by the ERC, each burner has its own switch.  It's unlikely that the broil and bake elements would go bad at the same time.  I'm not 100% sure because I don't have a schematic for this model, but I don't think there is a thermal cut out on this model, so unless there is one I'm unaware of, which maybe someone else can verify, and there is not 240VAC to the elements, then the ERC is no good.

Part number: AP4587739

Part number: AP4587739

- David
- RD Appliance Service, Corp.
http://www.rdapplianceservice.com

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,632 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:16 PM

It's unlikely that the broil and bake elements would go bad at the same time.  

Very true-- I missed the part about BOTH elements being bad.  This does indeed point to what's common.  No thermal overload on this model so that just leaves the power supply and ERC.  

#8 Helene

Helene

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:53 PM

Ah...power supply.  Hadn't considered that!  Thanks!  So can you suggest a test process to decide which of those it is?

#9 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,996 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:02 PM

Use a volt meter to test for 240v at the receptacle. If that's good remove the back panel of the range and test for 240v across the bake element terminals while the oven is turned on. Be VERY Careful. If your not comfortable with a meter and electricity I wouldn't do this test.

If you don't this test just order the eoc from this site and it's returnable if that doesn't fix. But it will. Common issue with these ranges.

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#10 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:24 PM

One thing to note. The new ERC doesn't come with the overlay. You can carefully peel the old one off with a putty knife and restick it to the new control or buy the new overlay.

Part number: AP3771827

Part number: AP3771827

#11 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:36 PM

SANTA is right!!!

If I were I would just buy a new one. Never have had any luck peeling them off.

#12 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:25 PM

Ah...power supply.  Hadn't considered that!  Thanks!  So can you suggest a test process to decide which of those it is?

Sincere apologies if this has been answered before.  An hour of searching has not turned up the answer, so if it's here, not only am I ignorant of how to repair, I am ignorant of how to search.  Entirely possible.

Anyway, I have a Kenmore stove/oven, model 790.9611.  One burner stopped heating, no big deal, there are 3 others.  However, a few weeks later the oven stopped heating as well.  Neither element works.  I suspect the ERC is bad but would like to check.  Or with that information can I conclude with certainty it is the ERC?

Thanks much,

Helene

It's likely you have two different issues that happen to crop up within a few weeks of each other.   Now if you description was:  All burners stopped working and oven doesn't bake or broil.... we would be looking closer at your power supply.   But. because 3 of your burners are still working, it is unlikely your power supply is the culprit.  I would be looking closer at the Electronics.  Very common.  

#13 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:07 AM

Another vote for the board!

#14 Helene

Helene

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:26 AM

Bowing in gratitude...you guys are awesome.  The new ERC did indeed take care of the oven part of the situation, and thanks for the heads up about the skin.  I was able to peel it off and apply it to the new ERC, saving me $50.  

I then opened up the stove top and took out the burner that wasn't working; I could actually see the place where the element had burned through and broken.  Being able to see what was wrong is embarrassingly satisfying in  a totally geeky kind of way.  Anyway, replaced that and my stove and oven are once again whole.

You guys are the best; I am off to make a deposit into the beer fund.

#15 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,632 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:44 PM

Nice work, Helene!  :thumbsup:

#16 Helene

Helene

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:19 AM

One more question...I tried to 'like' a comment and got an error that I had reached my quota of positive votes for the day.  I haven't made ANY positive votes for the day.  Is this disabled or am I doing something wrong?

#17 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,632 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:29 AM

The "like" feature is disabled for grasshoppers because we were getting spammers signing up and then doing "like" spam where they went through ans randomly liked things, which auto-sends a notification to the recipient. Another example of spammers screwing things up for everyone else.

#18 Helene

Helene

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

Damn.  So sorry you faced that

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ERC, Kenmore 790.9611, oven

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics