Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Sharp R-9X56 Convection Microwave.

Microwave Sharp R-9X56

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Embroiderr

Embroiderr

IkkĊ-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:33 AM

Currently looking at diagnosing and repairing above much loved convection microwave.

I have the repair manual and an idea where to look but have one -probably simple question for the initiated. It says to do the three Ds: unplug, wedge oped the door and then discharge the high voltage capacitor. How do I do the last bit. I have searched the web and come up some disturbing and not safe looking videos. Do you reall just short it out?! I don't want to damage any other parts in the process and want to achieve the aim and live!

Some sensible answers please.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:redbridge

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:50 AM

That is what you do, you short the terminal of the capacitor to ground. Make sure the power is turned off. If you have any reservations about doing it, do not do it, get a pro. Can be extremely dangerous.

#3 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:28 AM

How To Discharge The High Voltage Capacitor:

The capacitor is discharged by creating a short circuit (direct connection) between the two capacitor terminals and from each terminal to chassis ground bare metal surface.

1. Do this by touching the blade of an insulated-handled screw driver to one terminal, then slide it toward the other terminal until it makes contact and hold it there for a few seconds. (This can result in a rather startling "pop!")

2. Repeat the procedure to create a short between each capacitor terminal and chassis ground.

3. If the capacitor has three terminals, use the same procedure to create a short circuit between each terminal and then from each terminal to ground.

4. Older Amana-made models (generally those manufactured before 1977) have red, round filter capacitors mounted in the base of the magnetron tube which can also hold a charge. Ground each magnetron terminal by creating a short circuit to chassis ground using the blade of a screwdriver as explained above.

Edited by Chat_in_FL, 10 April 2014 - 08:29 AM.

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect or represent the views and opinions held by my employer. All data and information provided is for informational purposes only.

Big Brother

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Microwave, Sharp, R-9X56

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics