Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Duet Dryer WED9270XW1

Steam dryer

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Patricio

Patricio

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:48 AM

I replaced an open heating element on this dryer.  The element was not the same as the 2 elements I carry with me. Part number is 8544771.  Not only was the coil broke, the frame was cracked also.   Dryer was a little bit of a pain to access, in a closet stacked on a washer.

Worked fine when I left.  Got a call last night saying the dryer was not drying clothes completely.     This is a steam dryer without the water hooked up.   Wenting was clear & short.   Called customer early this morning,  She said she turned the steamer button off & it dries perfect now.

My question is How does the steamer work & how can it prevent the clothes from drying with it turned on, button pushed in, & no water to make steam.  This call was at the outskirts of my coverage area.    Did not want to make a callback, already had to chase down the element to repair, which I have added to my truck stock.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:42 PM

<<<the frame was cracked also.>>>

<<<Wenting was clear & short.>>>

A scorched/buckled/cracked frame is indicative of excessive heater cycling (blocked venting)---but can also be caused by venting that is too short---causing the element to remain on for excessively long periods. Especially if the customer does small loads of laundry (a widow/widower for example).

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#3 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:08 PM

What steam button? The steam function is one of the cycles on the control knob. If you use a steam cycle, a small amount of water is sprayed into the drum after several minutes of tumbling with heat.

Eric

#4 Patricio

Patricio

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:08 PM

Before I left I watched the lady push a button on a gigi that was jutting out from the top left side of the control panel.   It was not connected to the main control dial.   I did not know what it was, never saw this mechanism before.   lady called it the steam button.   I was hoping some one could shed some light, what it is & functionality.    I will look at a parts diagram at APP or SEARS to shed some light.   I did  not get a good look at it  because the dryer was sitting on top of a washer which put it well above my eyesite.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#5 jimdemayo

jimdemayo

Samanera

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:red wine

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:30 PM

So you're saying you replaced the heating element with one that wasn't oem (original equipment manufacturer)? As long as I can assume you meant what you wrote< I'll think this way. This is a huge no no. I have no idea what you may have destroyed making something work that shouldn't have any business being there. Anything electric is sensitive to it's parameters. Also, I would be much obliged if you would use correct punctuation. It really helps me understand not only your problem, but also what you've done to date. Thanks in advance. 

Also, You have to borrow a step stool lol, All "lady's" have them. Or buy your own. $10 bucks at wally world. I know this doesn't help with your question, but it may help with the process.

Jimdemayo

#6 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:03 PM

<<< I would be much obliged if you would use correct punctuation. It really helps me understand not only your problem, but also what you've done to date. Thanks in advance.>>>

This is a beer-drinkers forum---we slur our words around here all the time :)

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#7 jimdemayo

jimdemayo

Samanera

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:red wine

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:26 PM

This is my first go at this and I'm becoming unimpressed. We can be intelligent human beings, and drunk appliance guys at the same time right?

l2wrightdrunkfellas#

Jimdemayo

#8 Patricio

Patricio

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:29 PM

A scorched/buckled/cracked frame is indicative of excessive heater cycling (blocked venting)---but can also be caused by venting that is too short---causing the element to remain on for excessively long periods. Especially if the customer does small loads of laundry (a widow/widower for example).

Thank you John63,  As usual profession insight to perfection.     Again your  immense experience in appliance service & repair is shared.

I looked at the parts diagram provided by APP,& it does not denote the mechanism that I did not examine because it was not the original complaint.  The client pushed switch to engage as I was leaving.   I was not sure what it was she swithched on until our conversation this morning.

Yesterday I Installed the correct Whirlpool OEM heating element  that I had to travel 25 miles  to Ist Seville parts supply to Obtain (chased down) proper replacement part to effectuate the correct repair.  And in the process of doing a thorough complete & proper service & repair I not only replaced the defective heating element (which was the original complaint, runs but quit heating)  I replaced the  limits, fuses & thermistor with genuine Whirlpool replacement parts for extra insurance because I do provide a 12 month warranty on parts & labor.  

While there I also repaired a Duet washer that was giving a LD, F9E1 error code.  It is another topic I will address when I get a chance to post a appropriate topic.

Lastly, These clients have another Duet (not a steamer) dryer that has the same complaint...runs with no heat.  Yes they have 2 sets of laundry machine   I will be running a service call early next week, While there I will be examining the steam Duet control panel more thoroughly.  I will attempt to post pictures in the process.

Thank you again for this wonderful forum where answers may be found.   Patricio

Edited by Patricio, 10 April 2014 - 11:34 PM.

IgonFishn

#9 Patricio

Patricio

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:39 PM

This is my first go at this and I'm becoming unimpressed. We can be intelligent human beings, and drunk appliance guys at the same time right?

l2wrightdrunkfellas#

Jimdemayo

Lighten up Jim  In time you won't be a newbie here & you will find how wonderful & helping all the members of Samurai's Appliantology are.   Gigi & thing a mug jig  & things like that are normal where I hail from.     I hope this does not offend you but I wear kicker boots on the job without bootie guards.    Because that is what we do down here where I am from.

Edited by Patricio, 10 April 2014 - 11:44 PM.

IgonFishn

#10 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:32 AM

Before I left I watched the lady push a button on a gigi that was jutting out from the top left side of the control panel.   It was not connected to the main control dial.   I did not know what it was, never saw this mechanism before.   lady called it the steam button.   I was hoping some one could shed some light, what it is & functionality.    I will look at a parts diagram at APP or SEARS to shed some light.   I did  not get a good look at it  because the dryer was sitting on top of a washer which put it well above my eyesite.

I see what looks like a button on left side of panel in the photo in this link. No mention of it in parts manual or operators manual. Parts manual does show a hole in panel in that area but no button or device behind hole. Interesting.

http://www.abt.com/p...-WED9270XW.html

#11 Patricio

Patricio

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:45 AM

It juts out from the dryer panel, is a push button knob control like on an heavy machinery panel.   !st I have ever seen on a dryer.     Will get pictures early next week to post.     Has anyone had experiance with this particular model?       Must have some control over heating element.     This element bolted in to containing case rather than sliding into case like all the other Whirlpool dryers I have worked on.

IgonFishn

#12 Patricio

Patricio

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:27 AM

Pictures of 'steam button' that is used to engage,   Push button in & it is in steam mode.   You can pull button out.   Customer does not know how it works exactly.   First unit of this kind I have seen.   Guess I will ask for a manual in manual requests.

Attached File  1-DSCN0134.JPG   15.65KB   0 downloadsAttached File  1-DSCN0134.JPG   15.65KB   0 downloadsAttached File  DSCN0132.JPG   20.1KB   0 downloads

IgonFishn

#13 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted Yesterday, 05:38 PM

never seen that before and all i do is laundry products

#14 Patricio

Patricio

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:20 PM

Forgot this one.    Attached File  1-DSCN0133.JPG   18.66KB   0 downloads

IgonFishn

#15 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lion Imperial or Shiner Bock

Posted Today, 07:37 AM

Made that mistake the first time I was out on one of these.  I had the top open and was desperately trying to find the switch I thought it had to activate.  

This has nothing to do with steam, it's a clothes rack.  You extend it out and hang clothes on it so they won't wrinkle. Words can not convey the embarrassment I felt when the customer showed that to me after precious minutes of fruitless searching. 

#16 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lion Imperial or Shiner Bock

Posted Today, 07:40 AM

Never thought about this before!  I automatically have to wonder "how short is too short"?  I know the engineers assume a max length of about 32 feet of effective length, but it sounds like they also are assuming a certain number of minimum feet.  

#17 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted Today, 08:59 AM

So, it's a retractable clothes hangar rod that happens to be located next to the Duet Steam label and she thinks it's a "steam button". That's funny :woot:

Eric

Finally found a reference to it in an online website advertisement.

• Retractable Drying Rod
  • Temporarily hang up to 5 items that don't need to go in the dryer after washing.

Edited by fairbank56, Today, 09:15 AM.

#18 Patricio

Patricio

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted Today, 10:40 AM

Dan I feel like a dumbarse
IgonFishn

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics