Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Jenn-Air SideBySide Beer side warm, freezer back panel frosty (JCD2389DES)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tenox

Tenox

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 09:20 PM

Jenn-Air model: "JCD2389DES" Side by side.

:yikes: Ok, the Beer side is warm:poison:, the freezer's back panel is all frosty; no air is circulating to the beer side.

The bottom vent is clear, the top had ice all on the freezer side of the bulkhead. I blew mucho hot air at this and it appears to have cleared the ice. I haven't removed the inside back freezer panel, but I think that given the total amount of frost covering it and the ice I could feel thru the lower vent, the coils are likely full of ice (as pictured in this borrowed picture http://applianceguru...ent.php?id=134.)

Questions about fans and other such:
o how many fans are inside the freezer and beer side?
o I hear a loud fan inside the freezer when compressor is running -- is that the evaporator fan? Should there be another, er, circulating fan located at the upper pasage to the beer side? I feel no airflow at the top of the beer side, esp. no cold air.
o How do I determine which (defrost system?) part(s) to replace on this model?
o What else needs to be considered to get this frigin' thing right?
o Is warm elk piss better than warm moose piss?? I need to know as I'll probably be drinking one or'tother during the super bowl tomorrow with this thing o'fritzing itself.

Happ me, please.

#10 Ox

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,816 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 February 2006 - 04:11 AM

The defrost system consists of three components in your fridge: defrost terminator, defrost heater, and the adaptive defrost control (ADC) board. The easiest way t determine which one is bad is to ohm out the terminator and the heater-- terminator will need to be at some temp below freezing to ensure it's closed; both components should have continuity. This page will help you use your meter to make measurements:

http://fixitnow.com/...tion-making.htm

If both check good, then replace the ADC board:

http://www.repaircli...?R=154&N=948430

You've obviously never quaffed a mug of fresh moose piss or wouldn't have naively asked if it's better than elk piss. Moose piss tends to be extremely concentrated and so very pungent that the mere act of raising a frothy mug of dark yellow excretia to your lips will cause you to gag involuntarily and throw up in your mouth. However, if properly diluted at a 2:1 ratio with cheap vodka and semen of yak, it makes a fine Ameedican variation of the Afghani national drink. Enjoy!

:pisser:

#3 Tenox

Tenox

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 07:15 PM

I found the ADC(adaptive defrost control), but I haven't found the defrost terminator or the defrost heater, yet.:grr:.

Any pointers to their location or where to find their terminals/connectors would be a great help!

Me lifts a flagon o' warm brew to yew, o bushido man!:coolblast:

#10 Ox

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,816 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 03:46 AM

Both the terminator and the defrost heater are located on the evaporator. Follow the wires. The terminator is a little round button with two wires sticking out of it. The heater is, well, a heating coil, with two wires sticking out of it.

#5 Tenox

Tenox

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 03:20 PM

Thanks; found the heating coil after I got it defrosted. That was a big deal -- got to use my new heat gun, but it still took like 5 hours to melt that chunk of ice.

What was throwing me was the term 'terminator', it don't terminate nothing. The wiring diagram I found showed this as the 'defrost thermostat'...it's just a little can clipped to the top of the evaporator coil. Continuity across the coils is listed as, and nearly was, 240K-ohms, and across the tstat was >100 ohms.

By elimination, as you point out earlier, or in another thread on your site, it was the ADC. The ADC, I was told, counts how often you open the door, how long it's open, if you use the beer side nekkid, and then decides how big an ice block to make...and that saves NRG!!

(I'm all for saving energy when it works, like when everybody isn't driving huge trucks and suv's alla time with just 0 passengers and NO CARGO and bitchin' about how expensive gas and moose pee are.</rant>)

Thanks,

#10 Ox

Attached Files

#6 kathyr

kathyr

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 12:53 PM

WOW-That's alot of ice, mine is not that bad! Someone please see my post and help this damsel in distress- Kathy

#7 Luke Beerwarmer

Luke Beerwarmer

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:53 AM

I am amongst the afflicted. I am close to being shunned by friends who are less impressed with fine brushed stainless finishes then by generosity with the fridges contents provided they are served considerably cooler then room temperature.

God help me I am defrosting the dang thing every 6 weeks. Got it down to a science but am now compelled to find a permanent fix.

Where do I start? Which problem do I eliminate first? Should I start with a multimeter?

Be gentle. My tribe lost its land in the 1400's and we really have not been all that clever/handy since.

Luke.

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,816 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:59 AM

Unless your refrigerator is the exact same model as the initiator of this topic, your first step is to start a new topic for your problem.

#9 Luke Beerwarmer

Luke Beerwarmer

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 03:21 AM

Yes. The beast is a Jennair JCD2389DES... please help..

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,816 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 03:48 AM

Ok. Now proceed by reading the second post in this topic... and doing what says. Pretend it was written just for you. Or, I could copy it and post it here but that's such a waste of time and bandwidth.

After you've read the second post, try for the third one. We'll be rootin' fer ya!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics