Toaster Madness! (TRO515TY3)
Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:01 PM
Hi. So, I had contacted the Samurai by phone aeons ago, (I hope he remembers me), but wasn't able to fully explain myself without pictures. I tried taking pix with a regular camera, but it was too fuzzy. So it wasn't until recently that I procured a digital camera and hence can post pix... The story goes like this: I'm a semi-cheap, environmentally-conscious grad student who refuses to throw away a toaster oven (Black & Decker Toast-R-Oven TRO515TY3) simply because a heating element blew out...well, because otherwise it would be sitting in a dump somewhere polluting the planet. I mean, really there's nothing else wrong with it. It doesn't make sense to me that it costs more to fix it than to replace it. So think of this as a lone protest against disposable consumerism. Or something. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's a heating element because it's visibly fried; the sleek charcoal smoothness is interupted by warping and crispies on the top front element. Proud of my expert diagnosis, I ordered replacements. So now that money has been exchanged...I HAVE TO FIX IT. There's no turning back, despite the fact that I could be doing better things, like working on my thesis.
Next, I set out to do the replacement, but I realized I wasn't sure if I should be soldering or if I should be blow-torching...if that makes any sense....because I don't see any plops of solder connecting anything. And, while I'm at it...how do I break those connections to do the replacement? I have access to solder, flux and a soldering iron. I also have a little TriStar butane pencil torch.
...I also have a fire extinguisher.
I have some pictures, but I'll wait to see if anyone out there might be willing and able to point me in the right direction at this bewildering junction of junctions.
Indebted in advance,
Posted 05 February 2006 - 05:13 AM
If you post a photo of the part and the innards of the toaster where the element goes, we may be able to point out some things that'll hepya.
Posted 08 February 2006 - 07:32 PM
Posted 08 February 2006 - 07:36 PM
Posted 08 February 2006 - 07:37 PM
Posted 08 February 2006 - 07:44 PM
Posted 08 February 2006 - 07:49 PM
This one shows a close-up of the busted element.
Posted 08 February 2006 - 07:50 PM
Posted 08 February 2006 - 07:52 PM
Posted 09 February 2006 - 12:50 AM
This isn't going to be anykind of straight forward repair to replace those elements, they are infact spot welded in.
There is a slight chance soldering them back in would work, but I would be concerned about it getting too hot in that area and melting the solder loose.
As far as breaking the old element loose from the spot welds, it's going to be gentle bending back and forth until the spot weld breaks loose.
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501
Posted 09 February 2006 - 09:05 AM
Posted 30 March 2006 - 04:38 PM
I hope someone can figure a way to connect these elements. Thanks gpg3
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users