Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore washer mod 110.23832100 fills, agitates for short period then drains and spins

Kenmore 110.23832100 drain fill cycle

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 B4UTRUST

B4UTRUST

Ikkō-ikki

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale

Posted 12 April 2014 - 04:39 PM

Working on a Kenmore 80 series model 110.23832100 top load washer w/ center agitator pillar. This was a refurb model from my store that got delivered and installed yesterday and I got called out on it today. Cust stated unit would not wash, that she would put it into the cycle, unit would fill then drain out and sit there.

I went out and tested the unit myself, on a small and medium load size it works fine as intended. All the water valves are operating correctly. There is no siphoning that I can tell as I can fill it with water and stop the cycle and the water does not drain out on its own. The lid switch is functional. I can advance the cycle manually and pop it into a rinse, drain or spin. Spin sounds and looks good, no abnormal wobble, vibration or noise. Drain pumps out water completely.

However, on a large load size the unit will fill with water correctly, stop filling and begin to aggitate for about 30 seconds to a minute then drain out. There's about a 50/50 from what I can see that the unit will either pause and stick there after it drains out and not advance(no hum, dial won't move on its own, after several minutes no further action in washer). If it does advance it goes immediately into a spin mode until it reaches the rinse cycle where it will rinse, drain, spin and finish out.

My bafflement here is that it only seems to be large load cycles that are doing this. I tested it empty, with a medium load and with a large load of clothes in there on the large setting and all three gave me the same intermittant results.

My thoughts on this one are either a bad timer or bad pressure switch. I'm just not sure where to go on that one. I did check connectors in the back, none are loose or hanging off or anything. I did press on them all to double check though.

I would appreciate any ideas or insights into this problem if anyone has run across it before.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 14 April 2014 - 01:04 AM.
MODEL NUMBER ADDED TO TITLE

Owner/Operator Flagship Appliance Repair

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:11 AM

On large load size, does it continue agitating when it begins draining out? Or does motor stop and start again in opposite direction when it drains? If it continues agitating, then it's siphoning. It may not start siphoning until agitator and drain pump starts stirring up the water. If it stops agitating, then motor starts again and drains only, then the timer is faulty. A faulty pressure switch could cause it to stop agitating but would not cause it to start draining. Sounds to me like it's a siphoning problem but doesn't start siphoning until it begins agitation. The action of the pump running and agitator moving the water around causes it to start siphoning. Check drain hose configuration.

Eric

Edited by fairbank56, 13 April 2014 - 08:14 AM.

#3 B4UTRUST

B4UTRUST

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:52 AM

Thanks for the advice. The motor stopped agitating when the drain started. I could watch it agitate normally then it would stop for a few seconds then the drain would kick in. After the drain stopped it would pause and either do nothing or the unit would then start a spin cycle. I think you may be right on the timer, which was my first thought because the cycles didn't seem right. It was the large load factor that lead me to think of the pressure switch.

I still don't believe it to be siphoning as it did not behave abnormally in medium or small. I may be wrong there of course.

Owner/Operator Flagship Appliance Repair

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,679 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:33 AM

I still don't believe it to be siphoning as it did not behave abnormally in medium or small. I may be wrong there of course.

Did not behave abnormally in medium or small load?   Makes it sound even more like a siphoning problem!!!!

Medium or small load isn't going to put the water at the critical level for start of siphon.

Did you check the drain hose to see how far it was shoved down the standpipe?  Many times people loose the rubber goose neck part of the drain hose, the plastic corrugated hoses are horrible to try to get to stay in the stand pipe without the rubber goose neck, so it gets shoved too far down the standpipe to make it stay in place correctly.

Here's a picture of the drain hose to see what it should look like if the rubber goose neck is still attached, even if the goose neck is still on the drain hose, if they taped it into the standpipe so there is no air able to enter when draining it can also cause a siphon to start:

Part number: 285664

Part number: 285664

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kenmore, 110.23832100, drain, fill, cycle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics