Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Sears Gas Range model 790.71513400

Oven will not shut off

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 krr1101

krr1101

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:coffee

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:07 PM

I replaced the control board on a Sears range because the oven glow bar igniter would not glow. I checked the 110 volts going to it and there was none.  The board fixed that problem. I  turned the oven on bake and it lit after about 90 seconds. I turned the oven off and the igniter and the gas burner went out. I decided to try it one more time before I left and turned the oven on again. Sure enough the oven lit. I turned the oven off and the burner stayed on even though the igniter had quit glowing. I unplugged the stove and the burner was still burning. I turned off the gas supply to the stove. What could be the problem? The gas valve or the safety valve? 

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 vee8power

vee8power

Kohai

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Folgers

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:35 PM

Part number: AP2131109

Part number: AP2131109

One oven burner, one valve. It should only pass gas when the igniter is red hot.

#3 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:06 PM

Sounds like me in the morning.  :fart:

#4 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:56 AM

In the video, the parts replacement person is shown to be putting thread sealant in the threads of the nut .....If my memory does not fail me, that is incorrect....The sealing of that type of connection is at the 'compression ring' on the tubing, You tighten the nut till the compression ring seats on both sides of the 'ring', hence " Compression Fitting"........Secondly, he installs the valve and then starts the nut, again another mistake..The valve should be loosely held or partially mounted so there is no chance if "cross-threading " the threads........The nut should be run down  till it bottoms out by hand then tighten by a " Flair  Nut" type wrench and another wrench  ( back up) on the nut flats on the valve .......................... I can see a parts changing monkey installing per the video, cross threading the nut to valve , grunting to tighten it till he torques it off the rear wall of the range..............He sez " The sealant will stop any leaks"....................

#5 krr1101

krr1101

Ikkō-ikki

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:coffee

Posted Yesterday, 10:36 PM

Thanks to all. Got er done! very good video and advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics