Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

"Hey, I just fixed that guy's.........."

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:14 PM

One of neat things about this line of work is that you never know where the day may take you, and who you may meet.  Over the years I've provided service to the famous and infamous.  Royalty, legendary sports figures, Oscar and Grammy winners, notable TV personalities, and many others.  Just thought I'd share a recent call, for somebody you might have heard of.

A few weeks ago, I answered a phone call from a new customer.  The caller ID showed the name Ronald McDonald.  Ok, I think to myself, probably the local McDonald's restaurant manager calling in about a washer problem, or something.  As it turned out, it was really Ronald McDonald, but not the one you think.  Ron McDonald was calling me about a problem with his dryer.  After a few questions, I determined that he had a vent restriction and referred him to a friend with a Dryer Vent Wizard franchise.  (My Spiderman days are way behind me)

The following day I receive another call from Mr. McDonald.  He thanks me for the referral because he did indeed have a vent restriction, but he's still having a problem with the dryer.  So I saddle up and head on out.  I wound up replacing the element and door switch.  Mr. McDonald was very nice, grateful for my honesty with the vent cleaning referral and the prompt follow up service.

A couple of weeks later, I'm home on Sunday night watching television.  During the first commercial break of "The Walking Dead", a Taco Bell commercial comes on, touting their new breakfast menu.  Apparently they scoured the country for real guys named Ronald McDonald to use in their new advertisement.  And there, on the screen was Mr. McDonald himself.  So I yell out to an empty room, "Hey, I just fixed that guy's dryer!"

And now, another story in the same vein (For Brother john63):

It has also been my privilege to provide service for many WWII veterans.  Many of them unsung heroes whose accomplishments far outshine those of any celebrity.

I receive a warranty call on an LG refrigerator with torn fresh food door gaskets.  I advise my customer that would like to preorder the replacement gaskets to have them on hand for the initial service call. 

A few days later I arrive on site and am greeted by an older gentleman who leads me to the kitchen and leaves me to complete my work.  I couldn't help noticing all of the great pictures on the walls, showing different types of vintage military aircraft.  As he signs my work order, he proudly advises me that during the war, he was a pilot of a B-17 bomber, and that he had been contacted by The History Channel.  They wanted him to participate in a show where he and other surviving crewmembers would be able to fly in a reconditioned B-17.  "The Flying Fortress" I ask, and he nods in agreement.  The conversation continues for some time until I have to leave, wishing him to have a good time and call me if there's any problems with the refrigerator. 

A couple of months later, I'm home on a Sunday morning, watching television and flipping through the channels until I come across a show about the B-17 Flying Fortress.  It was The History Channel, and sure enough there was my customer, accompanied by other B-17  pilots and crewmembers, taking the reigns of the aircraft they know so well.  So I yell out to an empty room, "Hey, I just fixed that guy's refrigerator!"

Edited by PDuff, 16 April 2014 - 06:59 PM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:31 PM

<<<It has also been my privilege to provide service for many WWII veterans.  Many of them unsung heroes whose accomplishments far outshine those of any celebrity.>>>

So very true.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#3 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:02 PM

Along with all of the good---we also see the "bad" characters.

They don't always look like a one-eyed monster or a devil---some may actually appear quite normal.

A guy that shoots/kills his wife at her work---with a double barrel shotgun (beauty salon)

A doctor (in his 70s) that was later convicted of sexually molesting his patients for years---while under anesthesia

A local politician that took bribes/sold influence (zoning approval for construction)---and was "caught" in a FBI sting...

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

#4 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:01 PM

Was it this guy?

Ft Myers...

http://www.usatoday....ell-ad/7150755/

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

#5 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:18 PM

Here's one of my favorites...

A bomber crew with a reputation for being "undisciplined" and essentially were outcasts/rejects---becomes the most decorated bomber crew of WW2...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_666

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

#6 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:31 AM

I remember a while back watching the city counsel meetings on our community access channel.  After the meetings as a service, this channel would show the pictures, names and addresses of convicted sexual offenders and predators.  And it appeared I provided service for 1/4 of the people shown.

The guy in Ft. Myers was in the same commercial, but my guy is on the other side of the state.  He was interviewed by a local news crew after the ad aired.  When he was initially contacted, he thought he was going to be shown in a documentary.  It wasn't until he was flown out to California did he find it was for a Taco Bell commercial.  He hinted that he would receive a five figure paycheck for his participation.  I wonder if I was paid with Taco Bell money.  Mmmm.....quesadilla.....

That was a cool find on Wiki.  Talk about a weapon of mass destruction.  A jacked up B-17, manned by maniacs, with the "Mark of the Beast" on the tail.  Very cool.

#7 B4UTRUST

B4UTRUST

Yamabushi

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:49 PM

My only real claim to brushes with notable personalities happened a few years back while still with LG doing the richmond route. Went to service a washer when I pull into the driveway and notice the plates on the car parked there are Virginia's Medal of Honor plate. Being ex-military myself I was a bit surprised and of course more than a little enthused about getting an opportunity to meet such a decorated individual.

The gentleman in question was a WWII Army vet by the name of Van T. Barfoot. He made national news some years back for flying his large American flag in his front yard and the legal battle over it with his homeowner's association. I was absolutely honored to have the chance to talk to the man for about an hour after I finished up the service call. An absolute gentleman, very humble and just as nice a customer as I've ever had.

Owner/Operator Flagship Appliance Repair

#8 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:14 PM

A "Rambo" and a gentleman :)

http://en.wikipedia..../Van_T._Barfoot

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Read below:

#9 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:46 PM

It's always been a pleasure taking care of our real life heroes, and were losing more and more of them everyday.  And most of the famous that I've met have been cordial if not down right nice.  As far as what todays public considers a celebrity doesn't hold much weight with me.  If Justin's or Miley's or Kim whats'ername's oven breaks, they can call somebody else.

#10 BrntToast

BrntToast

fellow,academy of sublime masters of appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:i quit drinking the day i woke up nude on the hood of my car with my keys up my butt

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:36 PM

i've had 2 of these myself

fixed a dishwasher for Fred Penner (signs childrens songs and had his own kids show on tv)

and fixed a fridge for Burton Cummings (the guess who) ... (not that big of a deal as he used to drink at our local bar and anyone could chat with him while playing the video lottery next to him)

The only stupid question is the one not asked

hope i've been helpfull, if you wish to buy Brnt beer kick here

http://brnttoast.googlepages.com/home

feel free to prvt msg frigidaire questions my way

(i dont log in every day)

#11 Fisherking1979

Fisherking1979

IkkĊ-ikki

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sam adams

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:39 PM

I have had the pleasure of repairing appliances for some of NYs top notch mobsters. Not going to mention names for obvious reasons and some are still customers. Also a few legends of the past have family members that have used us one I will mention being he is deceased is Joe Gallo, ( his family anyway)

#12 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 04:36 PM

My Lady was born and raised in Canarsie, and knew Paul Vario and his crew.  Boy, the stories she tells.    :beatnik:

Edited by PDuff, 29 June 2014 - 04:37 PM.

#13 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:41 PM

Here's one with a little Fourth of July twist:

Took a call from Arlo last week.  He was having trouble with his Maytag front load washer displaying an F35 error code (analog pressure switch).  I ask him if I can preorder the switch and pressure hose to have the parts on hand for the initial visit, and he agrees.  Come July third and Arlo's washer is up and running.

Now some of you might remember Arlo.  He performed a little 18 minute long song at Woodstock called "Alice's Restaurant" and is about as nice and down to earth as can be.  And some of you might even remember his dad, Woody.  He wrote a little song called "This Land is Your Land".

Hope everybody had a good Fourth of July.  I did.

#14 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:13 PM

Father rape'rs at the group W bench.   Always thinking of Arlo Guthrie around Thanksgiving  same as Cheech & Chong at Christmas.   Those were the Days   Archie & Edith   :dazzler:   Did I forget to mention Peter Paul & Mary.     What am I talking about says Applianceman97  Back in the Day  my generation.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#15 Adirondack Bob

Adirondack Bob

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:31 PM

What am I talking about says Applianceman97  Back in the Day  my generation.

"People try to put us down... tttttalking 'bout my ggggeneration...."

Durham, I am starting to hear... "If the Who were Appliance Repairmen...."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics