Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Zip Programs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Adirondack Bob

Adirondack Bob

Kohai

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:13 PM

This in regards to a recent post in the Dojo.

I have downloaded a Zip file and when I try to open it, I get an error message that Windows cannot open the file. I am guessing that I need a Zip program to open it. I see that Winzip costs $30.00. Wondering if there is a good free one that anyone suggests, or should I just go ahead and purchase the Winzip.

I am running Windows 7 OS.

Thank You, Bob

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 LI-NY Tech

LI-NY Tech

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Virgil's Cream Soda

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:02 AM

Windows 7 should unzip automatically, no need to purchase.  Could be an issue with the file itself.  If you want to download all the files yourself from that page use the Firefox browser and install the DownloadThemAll! extension.  The browser and the extension are free and easy to use.

- David
- RD Appliance Service, Corp.
http://www.rdapplianceservice.com

#3 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:06 AM

Also, try right clicking your mouse on the file and see if maybe the drop down option menus contains an option to unzip, (Zip program is usually standard installation on Windows - but I have no experience past XP so don't know about Vista, 7 or 8).

Check the 'Open With..' or 'Send To..' option if you see that on the list, (that's were the access to Windows XP zip programs are).

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair, 19 April 2014 - 06:10 AM.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,409 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:39 AM

Winzip use to be freeware... man, I'm getting old.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#5 beam current

beam current

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Momma's homemade limeade. Served over crushed ice. Summertime classic.

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:41 AM

Hi David,  Thanks for uploading the file Bob is referring to.  I had the same experience as Bob.  I use Windows 7 Home and Firefox. I dl'ed the free Winzip evaluation version and it pretty much just sat there and did nothing. Got the same error message as Bob.  Tried 3 different downloads of the huge file.

Then tried my wife's cp with 4G memory and plenty of hd space and got the same results  (Windows 7 Home Premium and Firefox also).

We also tried 7zip, and it would only open about a third of the files, mostly the use and care manuals.  Some progress, but still frustrating.

Any chance you could upload a NEW file so we can try again?  Thanks for your help.

I think this will work. I once saw it on a cartoon.

#6 LI-NY Tech

LI-NY Tech

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Virgil's Cream Soda

Posted 21 April 2014 - 03:40 PM

I actually didn't upload the file to Dropbox, someone else did.  If you're using Firefox install the DownloadThemAll! extension (Google it) and visit the web page in question.  Use DTA to download every file on the page as individual PDF files, no unzip needed at that point.

Click HERE to go to DTA download page.

Edited by LI-NY Tech, 21 April 2014 - 03:42 PM.

- David
- RD Appliance Service, Corp.
http://www.rdapplianceservice.com

#7 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Chief Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:10 PM

Try to fix the windows extract feature.

http://support.micro...nd_folder_diag/
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#8 beam current

beam current

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Momma's homemade limeade. Served over crushed ice. Summertime classic.

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:39 AM

Thanks guys for the help. I'll give it a try.  :imnotworthy:

I think this will work. I once saw it on a cartoon.

#9 steveklein

steveklein

Ikkō-ikki

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:13 PM

I have downloaded a Zip file and when I try to open it, I get an error message that Windows cannot open the file. I am guessing that I need a Zip program to open it. 

Zip file support is built-in to Windows 7. You don't need any other product. My guess is that there's something wrong with the file you downloaded. It might be damaged somehow.

Try downloading it again. If you get the same error message, post that message here and I'll try and help you figure out what's going on.

Steven Klein
Mac, PC & Network Expert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics