Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

A world without GE Appliances?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,718 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:06 AM

They may be considering divesting their appliance division!

http://www.bidnesset...table-business/

If this really happens, this may be the avenue Haier is looking for to increase its market share.... ugh.. a Samsung built Haier/GE dual evap fridge? My service prices went up just thinking about this.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 19 April 2014 - 07:15 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Oberon

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:27 AM

They've tried before but found no takers.  I do agree that a company like Haier would take a look at them.  Total turn key operation with service network already in place, a rare commodity these days. 

#3 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,755 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:14 AM

It's Electrolux!!!!!  They just purchased G.E.,$3.3 bn for all that GE® imagination at work

Here's the news story: http://www.bbc.com/n...siness-29106335

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair, 08 September 2014 - 07:19 AM.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,718 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:20 AM

Well, it could have been worse... Quirky, the bid site, was the lead bidder at one time! http://mobile.bloomb...s-than-one.html

#5 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:53 AM

Does this mean that Electrolux parts are going to become as expensive as GE or GE quality is going to become as sorry as Electrolux as if GE is not sorry enough.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#6 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,718 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:28 PM

Maybe they will be called Gelectrolux but we probably call them Geeitsux

#7 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Oberon

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:31 PM

Wonder if they'll keep the GE in house field service or sell it off?

#8 B4UTRUST

B4UTRUST

Ikkō-ikki

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:54 PM

That was a big worry from GE from what I heard, especially with those in their Louisville office. I don't see them getting rid of the field service, at least not right off the bat, though if they have areas where ELux and GE are both concentrated with multiple techs there could be layoffs. Of course by doubling their appliance market control they've effectively doubled their problems as well, so effectively double the service calls, warranty issues, etc. So depending on the increase in field problems from the acquisition the tech numbers could remain the same but I doubt it. Usual case in this situation is to reduce it to the bare number of people required to do the work then reduce that number by about a quarter to screw the people who are left, but remind them that they're still damned lucky to keep their jobs so quit your bitching. 

Owner/Operator Flagship Appliance Repair

#9 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:46 PM

I see Electrolux laying off ALL GE Factory Service technicians and giving it all to the independent servicers. I see Sears wanting a huge share of the service. It looks like it's going to be very messy.

Scott Wolf

#10 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lion Imperial or Shiner Bock

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:05 PM

The GE guys are all union, so laying them all off at once might be a red flag to the NLRB as a "refusal to bargain."  That said, when I was running E-lux warranty calls, they were paying $73 flat rate labor.  

So $73 per call to an independent contractor, or hourly plus pension plus health plan plus truck plus insurance plus workman's comp.... I would be shocked if E-lux didn't begin a "transition program" and encouraging current techs to take early retirement, start firing people for dress code violations, etc. 

#11 B4UTRUST

B4UTRUST

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:11 PM

But wouldn't that give ascs a stronger bargaining position to get a higher fee since we're now covering both of their problem children?

#12 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:28 PM

NO. Because if a good service provider won't do it cheap, Joe Bloe will. To them it's the bottom line dollar amount, not how good of a service the consumer gets.
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#13 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,718 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:08 PM

I understand that GE did not sell its appliance parts division. If that's true, then we have more proof there's a sucker born every minute.

#14 B4UTRUST

B4UTRUST

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:35 PM

Spanner, I saw that with LG but there's a problem with that. It ends up biting the company on the ass in the long term. Because the fuckwit ASC goes out there and screws up the job, the customer calls back to them and they get nowhere so they end up calling back to the manufacturer. Manufacturer starts trying to deal with ASC to no luck either so they end up having to dispatch out someone else, for a second payout, or a third payout. Plus additional parts, etc. Meanwhile the customer is exceedingly irate and the company has lost a customer. 

So I guess you can look at it as a short term profit at the cost of a long term customer relationship. But quarterly earnings reports are more important now than customer retention so fuck it? I would figure(stupidly I suppose) that being willing up front to pay a little higher cost would ensure a better quality of service for their customer which would improve their outlook on the company which would result in repeat business. Of course anymore it seems neither customers nor manufacturers want to pony up good money for good repairs. 

#15 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:47 AM

I somewhat suspected it would have been one of the South Koreans' that would have grabbed GE's appliance division, despite earlier legal hissyfits.  I hope our friends at Appliance Park fare well during the transition.

I call "dibs" on the neon GE sign when Comcast yanks it from the top of 30 Rockefeller Center.  It's too big for the living room but should make one hell of a night light for the patio.

#16 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,718 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:34 PM

Well those Korean companies are huge, bigger than GE... Especially Samsung, they didn't get that big by being stupid... 7 billion dollars and still have to go through GE for parts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics