Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Bosch Refrigerator Icemaker Blues

bosch refrigerator icemaker WTF

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 chasers247

chasers247

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:17 AM

Hello - 

I'm having icemaker problems with my Bosch refrigerator, model # B22CS30SNS/01. I was able to get the service manual and whatnot here:

http://appliantology...diagram-needed/

The icemaker had basically stopped making ice altogether a few months ago. I then defrosted everything hoping that an unseen blockage was at fault. The icemaker started kicking out smaller cubes for a few cycles for about a day, and then stopped working again. 

After reading tons of suggested fixes here and other sites, I tried out simple fixes first. The water supply valve for the icemaker (a regular, non-self piercing one) wasn't open full blast, so I did that - nothing changed. Tried to confirm that the icemaker itself worked by manually adding water to the ice tray - the icemaker kicked those out about 2-3 hours - so I thought I had a functional icemaker. I then proceeded to try out the seemingly next likely culprit - and swapped out the inlet water valve with a new one. I thought that things were going well as the first batch of ice popped out in about two hours and seemed to return to normal size, but after letting things sit overnight, I'm sad to report that only that initial batch of ice is present in my ice maker bin. I am THIS CLOSE to taking my katana to this thing! A new filter cartridges is on its way by snail mail, and I'll swap that in ASAP. I doubt that will fix things though. 

So I now appeal to the forums, what should I plan on fixing next? Is the icemaker the next replacement target? Inlet water heater?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:11 AM

I've worked on very little Bosch. I know you checked that the supply valve was open, but did you verify the water supply to the fridge by spraying it into a bucket to see if you have good pressure. It should have a pretty good high pressure stream coming out. I know some refrigerators go through the filter before they go to the water valve, but if your filter or filter head was an issue then you would have low pressure to your dispenser as well. I would think the icemaker isn't the problem if you put water in, it cycled around properly , and it dumped ice. Not saying their couldn't be some malfunction in the icemaker causing it not to fill with water. Have you tried to manually cycle the ice maker to see if it cycles around and tries to fill?

Self Diagnosis (from the manual):
- Switch off the freezer light and push the rocker switch to an unstable position for more than 15 seconds. (I'm assuming they mean to put it between on and off)

-When rocker switch is pressed position 1 will connect to 1A and position 2 to 2A(I would assume this means ON) The motor will drive the IM CAM turn CCW at .33 RPM. The heater is switched on at the same time. From the original status the rocker switch should be pressed totally for 15 seconds, then release the rocker switch and Ice maker will go on to finish the self test.

No idea if this helps. You could try and check for voltage at the water valve when it goes to cycle. I've only ever messed with one Ice Maker like this and it was on built in Thermador. At the time we couldn't find any info on how to cycle it after I installed the ice maker and water valve someone else ordered.

Edited by BryanS, 23 April 2014 - 09:12 AM.

#3 chasers247

chasers247

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:25 AM

Thanks Bryan.

I'm confident that I have good water supply pressure. This model does pass the water through the filter before distributing to the icemaker and dispenser, so perhaps things will be better once the new filter is in place. I'll report back on that. I'm not very optimistic this will change things because I haven't found that past cartridges were very gunked up when I've replaced them in the past.

I have tried to manually cycle the icemaker, as described in the manual, and found that after holding the on switch on for the 15 seconds, I don't get an instant observable start of a cycle of a cube dump and refilling sequence. However, the icemaker will often dump at least one batch of cubes later, so I know that the parts the flip the cubes out of the tray still work in some capacity.

It would be great if someone who's worked on Bosch stuff a lot before could chime in. There doesn't seem to be a lot of those people around.

#4 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:08 PM

Sounds good. Did they give you a filter bypass plug with the fridge? Usually, I would install those on a suspect filter. Some automatically bypass with the filter out. Some brands have filter head assemblies that go bad too or possibly clog with lime. Mainly GE. Yea, I had a Bosch representative at a recent trade show that told me he needed someone for my area. A lot of servicers aren't really fond of warranty work, because it is so difficult to get paid or get paid fairly. Obviously, yours isn't in warranty, but that's where a lot of experience can come from for us technicians. I worked on 1 Bosch fridge and a Thermadore in the 2.5 years I worked for Sears. Not sure if they just aren't as popular or we just didn't service due to contract issues. That ice maker for your fridge looks pretty steep in price from what I've found. Yikes.

#5 chasers247

chasers247

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:24 PM

So since the last post, I swapped out the old filter for a new one - nothing changed, except that perhaps the water dispenser is dispensing at a very slightly higher pressure/rate. I suppose that on the plus side, this eliminates filter head blockages/etc as a potential problem since water is fed through the filter before being split between the ice dispenser and water dispenser. 

Before I ordered the icemaker part, I took out the icemaker assembly and took special care to check out the water inlet heater right away. There wasn't any ice build up/evidence in or around that. So I went ahead and ordered a new icemaker part.

Tonight I installed a new icemaker after finally getting the part via ebay. I installed the icemaker, and I tried to do the "15 second press and hold" self test thing. Nothing happened. I attempted this after the refrigerator freezer alarms (due to high temp from me having the door open to work on this thing) were no longer active, but only after about an hour after closing things up after installing the new icemaker part. I am crossing my fingers that after I wake up in about 6-7 hours and have let the freezer hit normal cooling temperatures overnight that it'll start making ice again, but needless to say I'm more than a little nervous.

I'll report back tomorrow. I hope someone out there has alternate ideas for me, because I'm out of ideas if things don't magically start working over night here.

#6 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:38 PM

Sounds good. Some of these refrigerators don't always do what the manufacturer says. I still can't get GE icemakers to cycle unless I install a brand new one that is already set to cycle. Good luck, and thanks for the update.

#7 chasers247

chasers247

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:33 AM

Thanks Bryan. I think that this is exactly that - another case of an icemaker not cycling as advertised on a sticker on the ice-maker unit nor the service manual. What a bunch of crapola.

I was quite happy to see about 2-3 tray dumps worth of normal sized ice cubes in the freezer compartment when I woke up this morning. This was a load off my mind, but I don't want to get too over excited - I want to see if the icemaker continues to churn stuff out throughout the rest of the day while I'm at work, and if it gets close to the target cube production rate mentioned in the manual.

I'll give a final report in another day or so to confirm that we're back up and running fully.

#8 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:35 AM

Good stuff

#9 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:40 AM

Have you verified the freezer temp?

Doc

#10 chasers247

chasers247

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:22 AM

Ok - I think that I have attained appliantological enlightenment as far as my Bosch icemaker goes, at least in the temporal, fleeting sense of semi-permanence afforded to us in our mortal coils by the imperfect appliances that surround us.  Hooray!

The icemaker continued to churn out ice happily yesterday while I was at work, and through the night, about every two hours or so. I think that's pretty darn close to what the manufacture says the production should be. Thanks for your help Bryan and everyone who helped me find the service manual I was looking for.

Ganbei!

#11 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:25 AM

No problem. That's good news. Yea, I haven't had the chance to try and cycle to see if it that method actually works. I worked for Sears and no one could tell me how to cycle that one on the Thermador builtin fridge. So I just installed it and waited to see if I got a recall lol.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bosch, refrigerator, icemaker, WTF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics