Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

maytag dryer model MGDE300VF0 works fine then stops...... then starts

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 keithnellie

keithnellie

Ikkō-ikki

• Apprentice
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:french market dark roast

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:50 AM

My maytag gas dryer works fine but stops after a few minutes then re-starts itself. I am thinking it is a thermal fuse or thermostat that is overheating. My vent is clean. I can hear something click when it stops but can't pin down exactly what component is clicking. Do those fuses get weak over time?

Any ideas?

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 24 April 2014 - 05:53 AM.
added model number to topic title

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 bayouboy

bayouboy

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Abita Beer Purple Haze

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:58 PM

Please post your MODEL number

#3 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:04 PM

Have some ideas but need model number!

Doc

#4 keithnellie

keithnellie

Ikkō-ikki

• Apprentice
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:06 PM

model number 

model number         MGDE300VF0

#5 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:26 PM

Sounds like to me the motor is overheating and cutting out on the thermo protector.  It will cut the motor off if the motor is too hot or if it is drawing to many amps.  Could be caused by a bunch of lint on the motor not allowing it to cool itself or even something in the blower housing putting stress on the motor when it is turning.  You could check the amps on the motor while it is running or simply wait till it cuts off and take the front of the dryer off and put your hand on it to see how hot it is.  Also take the belt off the dryer and see if the motor turn freely.  My best guess is you probably need to open up the dryer and do a good cleaning of the lint.  You will probably end up getting a new motor.  Open up the dryer and see what you can find out and post your findings.

Doc

#6 DADoESTX

DADoESTX

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Iced tea with a spike of earl grey

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:49 PM

I am thinking it is a thermal fuse ... that is overheating.

A thermal *fuse* by definition doesn't reset when it cools.  It's a one-time blow, then must be replaced.  If the the unit "gets hot" and shuts off, then runs again when it has cooled, the problem is not a thermal *fuse*.  Thermal *protector* on the motor (which does reset when it cools), maybe.

#7 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:08 PM

thermal protector or high limit safety thermostat for the motor, is resetable and as long as this dryer doesn't have a start switch the motor could start back up after the safety resets.

I can't think of any other way the dryer could stop and start by itself.  I'm all ears if you have any ideas.

Doc

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,051 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:54 AM

Motor Part number: AP3094233

Part number: AP3094233

#9 keithnellie

keithnellie

Ikkō-ikki

• Apprentice
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:36 PM

Ran the dryer and when it kicked off I unplugged it and reached in and felt the motor. I won't get those finger prints back again. The motor was very hot. 

I ordered a new motor and blower wheel because the old wheel just didn't want to come off. I cleaned all the lint and dirt out and when the motor comes in it should be an easy re-assembly. 

Thanks for the guidance.

#10 keithnellie

keithnellie

Ikkō-ikki

• Apprentice
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:38 AM

The new motor and blower arrived yesterday and the installation was a breeze. All put back together with new stuff and the same problem still exists. What can make the new motor overheat. The drum didn't seem like it was dragging around when I free spun it. Nothing appears to be caught between the drum and the outer part. the washer is working fine now so the clothes were spun fairly dry and the size of the load was probably less than normal. 

Any new ideas?

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,051 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:10 AM

Is this dryer in a closet or small room where the door is closed while it's running?

Is there other heat-generating equipment in the room, like a boiler?

#12 micabay

micabay

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:20 AM

My maytag gas dryer works fine but stops after a few minutes then re-starts itself. I am thinking it is a thermal fuse or thermostat that is overheating. My vent is clean. I can hear something click when it stops but can't pin down exactly what component is clicking. Do those fuses get weak over time?

Any ideas?

What do you mean by stops? What is stopping?  The drum rotation?

#13 keithnellie

keithnellie

Ikkō-ikki

• Apprentice
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:11 AM

Everything stops except the timer which counts down to zero then it all shuts off. I thought maybe it was a bad dryness sensor but tried it again with a timed cycle and the same thing happens. 

#14 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:15 AM

Is the dryer venting ok?  Is the dryer getting the correct voltage?  Is the belt on correct ( grooves meshing with the grooves on the motor?

is it (the motor) still getting really really hot and kicking out on the thermo overload?

Doc

#15 keithnellie

keithnellie

Ikkō-ikki

• Apprentice
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:01 PM

The dryer is in a 13' x 20' room and is vented well within the max guidelines set by maytag. The first thing I did was to be sure I had no obstructions and it was probably the cleanest vent I had ever worked on. On top of that it is all rigid pipe, no flex with one 90. The outlet of the vent blows hard and gets nice and warm. I will check the voltage. I am the end of the line for power service so I may be getting fluctuations. 

#16 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:14 PM

low voltage will cause it to run hot!  See if you can check the amps also!

Doc

Edited by electro_doc, 02 May 2014 - 12:14 PM.

#17 keithnellie

keithnellie

Ikkō-ikki

• Apprentice
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:31 PM

I finally was able to check voltage today and to my surprise it wasn't low but too high. I am 147 volts at the receptacle which is higher than it used to be. When I built the house I ran my own wiring ( to better than code and it passed inspection with flying colors). I checked all outlets at that time and I was right at 119v-120v. More volts should mean less amps but there are nameplate ratings for both. I will call my power company Monday morning and inquire about that. I have a transformer 200 yards from the house and I am the only house on it right now.

Most of my work involves 3 phase motors and I know voltage imbalances will kill a motor but I have read that single phase motors are more susceptible to high voltage problems so maybe that is why my washer and dryer are both acting up. Hasn't affected my ceiling fans yet nor my HVAC units but don't want to start replacing all those either. Lights do seem to burn out quicker than expected. 

#18 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 01:36 PM

Yes, good find.  Did your motor tend to run hot also?  Also the dryer coils will get alot hotter alot faster as well.  Check the 220.  It it like 300 or so as well?

Doc

#19 keithnellie

keithnellie

Ikkō-ikki

• Apprentice
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:07 PM

This is a gas dryer but I'll check the 220 because I was almost ready to replace the set I have with a Kenmore washer and electric dryer and i would have been more than  little upset if the problem would have continued with the new set.

#20 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:17 PM

This is a gas dryer but I'll check the 220 because I was almost ready to replace the set I have with a Kenmore washer and electric dryer and i would have been more than  little upset if the problem would have continued with the new set.

Yeah, that could have been causing your dryer to act up as well.  Maybe burn out the solanoids or at least heat them up and cause them or cut out or maybe burn out the igniter.  Were you having any dryer issues?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics