Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Trying to replace gearcase shaft seal Kenmore washer 11020922990

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,887 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:00 AM

All neutral drain pak parts appear to be installed correctly, (all parts are marked 'UP' on side that goes up).

The first and third pictures of the spin gear look like all is OK with the spin gear but the second picture kind of looks like there might be a step out at the bottom of the gear, (top section where metal spin pinion gear rides maybe worn off), but that might just be an optical illusion in the picture, I can't really tell - usually when the spin gear strips it is quite obvious lacking the teeth.

Watched the video and it appears the spin gear is in good shape.

Did you by any chance get impatient when you first tried it in spin and not wait the two minutes for it to drain, (it neutral drains - meaning the motor runs and pumps out but transmission will not spin the basket until the lid is lifted to let the motor stop or the pause that the timer has after the two minute drain which stops the motor and releases the latch in the neutral drain mechanism - then it should spin when the motor starts up again).

If the timer doesn't pause after the two minute pump out the transmission won't shift out of neutral - lifting the lid would simulate the timer pause and it should spin if the timer is possibly bad and not giving the pause after the two minute pump out phase.

Edited by Budget Appliance Repair, 01 May 2014 - 07:03 AM.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 strudles

strudles

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:50 AM

Thanks for your response! So, it's not a problem that I can hold the plastic gear from turning? Also, when the transmission was still together I tested it by turning the drive coupler on its side to see if it would cause the clutch to turn, which it didn't. Maybe that's not a real test, I don't know, but I was thinking that the clutch should do something when I turned the coupler.

I thought I waited enough time for it to go into spin last time, but maybe not. I guess I'll put it all back together and try it again if you can't think of anything else I should do first.

Trudi

#23 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:29 PM

I think maybe because you are turning it slowly by hand and you have no oil in it that it may not be engaging.  I'm with you for trying again and try lifting the lid after two minutes to let the motor stop and then start it again and see if it kicks it into spin.

Doc

#24 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:40 PM

Trudi:  I'm not sure if it will engage by hand.  When I test them I Hook it up to a variable speed drill.  I made an attachment to go on the shaft of the transmission to allow me to bench test it.  Maybe you could try that before you go to all the trouble of putting it back together again.

Doc

#25 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:05 PM

Ok, here's the thing Trudi.....  I just had a brain f--t and I remember one time not putting the spin gear cam on right and having your same problem.  It has a spring clip on it and it has to be facing so the spring clip is closest to the gear when you put it on.  It's on the bottom of the spin gear and when it is in right you can read (this side up).  I had it in upside down one time and it would not activate the neutral drain.  I didn't see any pics of the bottom side of your gear.  Have a look at that and let me know if this isn't the problem.

Doc

#26 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:19 PM

I just looked at your video of the transmission and when you showed the bottom side of the spin gear I can see you have it on upside down.  The cam delay spring and spin cam.  You need to take off the spin gear and reverse them and put the gear back on the right way.  This will for sure solve your problem. 

Doc

http://k0lee.com/ima...drain-kit01.pdf

Here is a link that shows it.

Edited by electro_doc, 01 May 2014 - 02:20 PM.

#27 strudles

strudles

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:39 PM

Doc! I am once again filled with hope, I did indeed have that part upside down which has been remedied. Now I just have to figure out how to clean the transmission oil from the edges of the transmission before sealing it back up. Any tips in that department? I was going to turn in early tonight, but now I just can't wait to see if this does the trick (Dear washing machine, pretty please with a cherry on top?). I'll let you know.

Thank you SO much!

Trudi

#28 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:35 AM

Clean it with a razor blade or a knife and use a rag with acetone or that stuff they sell for cleaning pvc pipe before you add the glue, any hardware store should have it.   This should fix your trans Trudi.  Can't wait to hear how it turns out.

Doc

Edited by electro_doc, 02 May 2014 - 02:19 AM.

#29 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,887 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:29 AM

I just looked at your video of the transmission and when you showed the bottom side of the spin gear I can see you have it on upside down.  The cam delay spring and spin cam.  You need to take off the spin gear and reverse them and put the gear back on the right way.  This will for sure solve your problem.

Very good catch Electro_doc, I totally missed that part.  It went by way to fast on the video - couldn't see it until knowing to look and stop video at that point and step thru a frame or two at a time.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#30 strudles

strudles

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:45 AM

Hooray, it's fixed! Agitates, drains, SPINS :dazzler:  I definitely couldn't have done it without all your help, a big :thanks: to you all!

Happy,

Trudi

#31 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:03 AM

All right!  Give yourself a lot of credit, you were amazing.  Time for one of your favorits :pint1: to celebrate your success!  Good job and thanks for the up date!

Doc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics