Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Isn’t it time to know what you don’t know?

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
jambatt

GE Dryer GTDP200EF1WS

14 posts in this topic

Dryer is about three months old. Was workig fine until a few days ago when it would start but would shut down when start button was released. Customer had placed a rock on the switch so she could finish drying aload. Hold the start button and unit runs. Release the start button and unit shuts off. I'm thnking motor switch. Anyone run into this before??

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Yes, the GE dryer motors are famous for getting lint stuck in the motor centrifugal switch.

Could be belt switch, too. Many of them are of less than firm construction and bend easily. 

Could be belt switch, too. Many of them are of less than firm construction and bend easily. 

Good to know, I've never seen this happen though, although I think the motor will act like this if the belt is brocken so theoretically this is a possibility.

Doc

Nope, the broken belt switch wouldn't even let the motor start.

Nope, the broken belt switch wouldn't even let the motor start.

Not on the newer dryers. I had my warranty guy fix one. Check the wiring diagram. The switch only stops the motor, it doesn't prevent it from starting.

News to me.  

News to me.  

Me too, good to know though, thanks oly!

Doc

Start switch bypasses the belt switch. Belt switch is not even in circuit until motor starts at which point it's circuit is completed by the motor switch. Always been that way on GE models.

Eric

So just to clarify then, the dryer will run when you push the start switch but if the belt switch is broken or the belt is broken then it will stop as soon as you release the start switch.

Correct?

Doc

So just to clarify then, the dryer will run when you push the start switch but if the belt switch is broken or the belt is broken then it will stop as soon as you release the start switch.

Correct?

Doc

Yep.

It was the belt switch. Gotta luv those GE engineers. They do stuff like this to mess with us old guys. Danged young whippersnappers.

They must be using a cheap switch these days!  I've seen GE's 20 years old with the original switch still working fine.  Good to know, thanks for the follow up.

Doc

On the ones I've dealt with the switch is fine but the coat hanger wire they make the idler support out of was bent funny.