Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

The days of Monkey Boy Service Calls are over...

Click here to check out our fun short course and learn how to get the most out of Appliantology.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
bamaguy

Kenmore 40272900 washer won't turn on

45 posts in this topic

My Kenmore washer model 40272900 won't turn on at all.  The outlet works, but nothing happens when I push the power button.  No click or any other noise when I plug it in.  We haven't had any trouble or error codes with it before.  Any help is much appreciated.  Thanks!

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

You are missing the prefix to the model number. There should be three number in front of what you posted like 796.xxxxxxxxxx

Sorry about that.  It is 796.40272900.

Unplug the machine, plug it back in then try to turn it on. This problem could be the noise filter, main pcb or user interface. If the washer doesn't power on after unplugging and plugging back in, remove the top of the machine and check for 120v at the noise filter. Also look for a red light on inside the main pcb cover.

There's 120V leaving the noise filter and no light on inside the PCB that I could see.  I took pictures of what I checked to make sure we're on the same page, but can't figure out how to upload them.  

Noise filter = circuit board with copper coil on it  First component the power passes through after leaving the outlet and connects to power cord.  I checked the downstream side.  

PCB = large circuit board in covered box at rear of washer.  I'm a pilot, and don't claim to be a repairman.  PCB for me means printed circuit board.  

You are correct on noise filter and main pcb location.

When unplug the washer and plug it back in, does the led light turn on the main pcb?

Sounds like you could have a bad main pcb. I will get you more voltages to check.

I didn't see any lights on the PCB after plugging it back in.  Is the light easy to miss?  I've got the cover off and looking on the circuit board itself.

Is the board getting power?  The light is easy to see.  Power to board trough the noise filter and no light means you need a new board.

Doc

It's hard to follow the wires through the bundle all the way to the PCB, but the exit plug of the noise filter is 120V hot when the machine is plugged in.  When I take the cover off, I'm not seeing a bulb on LED on the PCB, that's why I was wondering if it'd be obvious.  

If you have a valid power supply to the main PCB but no output from it, then the main PCB is bad Part number: EBR62545101

Part number: EBR62545101

Check the wires where they plug into the pcb.  If you have 110 there and no light then you need a new board.  Buy to one from the post above and if it's not the fix you can return it. 

Doc

Like stated above check for 120v at the black and yellow relays on the board. I believe pin 1 black to pin 1 yellow should be where your looking for voltage.

If you have a valid power supply to the main PCB but no output from it, then the main PCB is bad Part number: EBR62545101

Part number: EBR62545101

I get 120V at the black relay on the PCB (1 yellow/1 black wire to relay plug).  I also get 25V from the yellow relay next to it (1 red/1 blue wire to relay plug).  In the picture above, they're the relays on the bottom of the board.  Time for a new PCB?  If so, any idea what would make it fail out of the blue?

Order main PCB. If that doesn't fix it you can send it back. Make sure to order it from the link above.

Ordered.  I appreciate the advice and will post a follow-up when it's swapped out.

Failure?  Just your turn in the bucket.  Happens all the time for no apparent reason.  Let us know what happens with a follow up post. 

Thanks

Doc

No luck after replacing the board.  FWIW, I don't see a light on this one either.  I'm going to double check the power supply and see if that's it.  I took pictures to make sure the relays were plugged into the correct spots, but there's one relay on the board that doesn't have a plug.  It's a small blue one on the bottom. 

I found the light, but it's not on.  

I found the light, but it's not on.  

The LED light comes on when the board is receiving a valid 120v AC power supply.  The fact that the light on even the new board means that there's a problem with the power supply.  

Did you check output from the filter board like I said in my previous post? Part number: 6201EC1006T

Part number: 6201EC1006T

I checked it again this morning just to make sure.  125V coming out of the red relay, outside prongs. No light on the pcb.

check the wiiring harness and power at the pcb board again.  If you have power and no light at the board then you got a bad board.

Doc

At the board, the black plug is showing about 60V, and the yellow plug is showing about 10V.  I chased the wires coming off the noise filter, and assume one of these two is the power supply for the board since they're the largest wires/plugs.

Like stated above check for 120v at the black and yellow relays on the board. I believe pin 1 black to pin 1 yellow should be where your looking for voltage.

I think you are getting the testing wrong.  Check for power by putting one lead from your meter on the black relay pin 1 and one lead from your meter on the yellow relay pin 1.  This should give you the correct power.  If you have the correct power at  or leaving the noise filter and not getting it at the board then you should replace the wire harness.

Doc

Edited by electro_doc

Looking at the plug as it's plugged into the board, pin 1 is on the left or right?

Looking at the plug as it's plugged into the board, pin 1 is on the left or right?

That's a good question....  I'm sorry I don't know the answer to that.  I would guess it is either on the left or right so Check from pin on left of left relay to pin on left of right relay.  If nothing the check from pin on right of left relay to pin on right of right relay.   In the mean time lets see if someone comes on who can check that for us....  At least now you are on the right track.  :thumbsup:

Doc