Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Model EED4400WQ0 No heat...Centrifugal SW?

No Heat Centrifugal switch

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Winston Jones

Winston Jones

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Hefferveisen

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:00 PM

Greetings Forum,

Can someone please identify the part (switch) circled on the schematic below.  I believe it is the centrifugal switch after reading other posts here. Can someone confirm.  I have tested everything else...and they were ok.  I see that I am not getting the L2 at the heater...this "switch" is the only thing preventing it.  Thanks.

https://drive.google...dit?usp=sharing

V/R,

Winston 

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 MicaBay

MicaBay

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:06 PM

And by everything, you made sure you have 240 Volts L1-L2 and 120 Volts L1- N and L2-N?  Does the motor run?

#3 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:35 PM

Yes that is the cyntrifical switch for the heater but like micabay says are you sure you are getting 220 to the dryer.  If so make sure you also have 220 from M2 on the motor switch to the heater element.  When the motor comes on then you shoud get 220 from M1 to the heater.  Have you checked all thermostats,  the high limit cut out is a high probability.  Anyway to answer your question yes this is the motor heater switch.

Doc

#4 MicaBay

MicaBay

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:37 AM

Yes that is the cyntrifical switch for the heater but like micabay says are you sure you are getting 220 to the dryer.  If so make sure you also have 220 from M2 on the motor switch to the heater element.  When the motor comes on then you shoud get 220 from M1 to the heater.  Have you checked all thermostats,  the high limit cut out is a high probability.  Anyway to answer your question yes this is the motor heater switch.

Doc

Curious other's experience on here, has anyone seen the centrifugal switch operate the motor start/run circuit but fail to work the heat circuit?

#5 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:06 AM

Curious other's experience on here, has anyone seen the centrifugal switch operate the motor start/run circuit but fail to work the heat circuit?

Yes,,,, seperate contacts.  Heater points get burnt because of the higher wattage.  Also could just have lint between them and not the motor points.  Never seen that but have seen them burnt and motor still working.

I was able to put in a contactor used in AC's.  Hooked it to the get power  when the dryer called for heat and hooked the two wires that normally went to the motor switch to the contactor to activate when the contactor activated.  Worked great but I don't reccomend it.  I'm in Costa Rica and couldn't get the motor so I was forced to do this or the dryer wouldn't get fixed.  If I could have gotten the motor I would have for sure bought one.

Doc

Edited by electro_doc, 28 April 2014 - 09:19 AM.

#6 BrntToast

BrntToast

fellow,academy of sublime masters of appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:i quit drinking the day i woke up nude on the hood of my car with my keys up my butt

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:56 AM

we are seeing many centrifical switches failing recently

1/2 dozen or so in the last couple of months

The only stupid question is the one not asked

hope i've been helpfull, if you wish to buy Brnt beer kick here

http://brnttoast.googlepages.com/home

feel free to prvt msg frigidaire questions my way

(i dont log in every day)

#7 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:03 AM

we are seeing many centrifical switches failing recently

1/2 dozen or so in the last couple of months

Does the motor still run just no heater action?

Doc

#8 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:45 PM

yeah, i have run into a lot of them lately, runs but dont  heat, you can see whlp changed source of the motors

#9 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:17 PM

I've seen a few dryer motors where the spring for the centrifugal switch and the whole centrifugal switch fall out of the motor, most of them LG or Samsung.

Edited by Scottthewolf, 29 April 2014 - 06:17 PM.

Scott Wolf

#10 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:22 PM

Concur with the Brethren.  I did on one occasion find the L2 (red) wire had come loose from inside the motor switch harness connector (2M), which resulted in the motor running, but no heat.  Unit under first year warranty, I simply reinserted the wire into the harness connector until secure, and heat was restored.

So, Whirlpool, if you're listening, there really is truth when entering "Resecured loose wire.  Checked operation", in the Service Performed box of the NARDA claim form.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics