Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

DVLR223GT Gas Dryer - Flame Does Not Turn OFF

controlsgas dryer GE

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Popa_omero

Popa_omero

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dos Equis Amber

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:35 AM

My wife called me at work to report that the dryer was overheating. She stated that the clothes were abnormally hot. She was going out for a walk after finishing the laundry and noticed the dryer was still hot, so she unplugged it. When she returned from her walk, she noticed the dryer was even hotter. She looked under the unit and could see that the flame was still on, so she shut off the gas, which did stop the flame and probably prevented burning the house down!

Upon arriving home, I turned on the gas, plugged the machine in and started it. It started normally and shut off normally when I opened the door. It seems to be OK. I did notice that the igniter bar turned off about ten seconds after the flame started, but the flame stayed on. This may be normal, but it is now how our gas oven works. I did not run an actual load of clothes to see if the flame regulation during operation was operating correctly. 

Still, this is very worrying. We do not normally leave the dryer on when we leave the house, but this seem totally unsafe. What parts are likely to cause this failure?

Model DVLR223GT, 5 to 10 years old. 

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:00 PM

so to be clear your wife said the flame was still on when the dryer was not running? this is very unlikely because power runs through the motor centrifugal , also i dont know how your wife would see the flame from under the unit.

#3 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,811 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:35 PM

A gas dryer does NOT work like a gas range, A gas range just has a bi-metal to keep the gas valve open and the ignitor gives the gas valve the amperage to stay open, so the ignitor is ALWAYS on when the gas valve is open.

A dryer uses 2 solenoids on the valve, one to open the valve and another to keep it open, so therefore when the gas valve has ignited, the ignitor turns off, even though the valve is open.

ALSO, a bad centrifugal switch on the motor COULD keep the gas valve open. I have witnessed it before, if the timer is turned to an "ON" setting and the door switch is closed. Usually centrigual switches on dryer motors fail like this if the door was opened while the dryer was running and if the customer failed to turn the timer dial to an "OFF" setting and the door switch is closed.

Edited by Scottthewolf, 29 April 2014 - 04:39 PM.

Scott Wolf

#4 Popa_omero

Popa_omero

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:40 PM

I'm not doubting my wife on this. She knows what she is doing. We have always been able to see the light from the flame (or igniter) under the unit. It helps to get down on the floor with the light in the room out, but it is clear to see. 

The flame was on with the dryer off and UNPLUGGED! The motor was not running - just the flame. Since two days ago we have run the dryer several times and it seems very normal. I've scheduled an appliance professional to come have a look at it, as I think it is a serious fire risk, but what can he really diagnose? If the dryer is running OK, is he just going to say NTF and give me a bill?

I've never heard of a centrifugal switch, but I'll look into it. Thank you. This kind of freaks me out as you would think that there are enough safety switches on the thing that it would be impossible for the flame to be on with no electricity available at all.  

#5 Popa_omero

Popa_omero

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:50 PM

I just looked through all of the parts available for this machine and there is no centrifugal switch listed. Are you sure this machine has one or is it part of the motor? 

#6 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,811 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:04 PM

It's built into the motor, years ago, you could replace the centrifugal switch separately.

Scott Wolf

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,054 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:11 PM

Motor Part number: WE17X10010

Part number: WE17X10010

#8 micabay

micabay

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:59 PM

Unplugged. Gas off. and still flame.   Is it possible that excessive lint that has built up over years of use, had ignited during operations?  Then when the dryer was unplugged, gas shut off, the lint would have still been down there burning away?  You shall know more once you open your dryer up.  Get some eyes on the innards of your machine.  Take pictures.

#9 Popa_omero

Popa_omero

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:56 AM

No, the gas was not shut off at the time. The machine was turned off and unplugged but the gas flame was still on. As noted, you can see the gas flame and the ignitor, or at least their reflection, on the floor under the machine. This is normal. The lint in the machine was not on fire. In fact, I replaced the belt a while back and completely cleaned the innards, though I'm sure more lint has accumulated since. 

I have a repair man scheduled to come tomorrow but I am thinking of cancelling him. We ran the machine for a full load of clothes last night and it worked perfectly. Unless the repair main has special diagnostic tools, which I doubt, he will just be fishing around for a broken part that is not presently displaying any failure. 

What is odd is that every failure I've seen described for this machine results in the flame NOT coming on and hence the dryer won't dry. In this case, the flame would not shut off even when the door was open, the switch was in the off position and the power cord was unplugged. It operated in this mode for over an hour until my wife shut the gas off at the valve. It was not lint burning. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: controlsgas dryer, GE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics